As a Parent Out of the Witnesses, Are We Helping Our Kids Education ?

by flipper 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Mine are still young yet, but we have set up education funds for each one. When they hit 18, each will have enough in the fund for a 4 year university degree. It won't cover dorm expenses if they chose to live away from home, but the important thing is that they their choice of profession. They will have the option to live at home and graduate debt free, get a job to support dorm life, or take a loan to cover their living expenses while they study.

Also, bobbi and I made a pact to not tell our children about the funds. I want them to pick a career that interests them, not look at their school budget and then pick what uses it best. When they decide on what they want to study we will let them know it's covered.

It is a big sacrifice when we have 3 kids, but it's something well worth it.

• Smiles_Smiles
    Smiles_Smiles

My daughter is 14 and is a Junior in HighSchool and taking concurrent courses in college (Freshman).

When we left JW a little over 3 years ago, one thing I took out of it was not to be attached to any organized 'have to's' that people give value to. So when she was in 5th grade and stressed out because the teachers were more into controlling the kids then teaching them, I pulled her out of public school to home school her. And to give her a much needed break from all of the people who want to control, gain authority and tell us what we 'should' think and 'should' do. I felt she needed time to get intouch with her own inner sense and guide. I couldnt see much difference between elementary school and JWism. Soooooo Controling ... That definitly could have backfired on me but I listened to my gut and did it anyway.

Well she finished 6th-8th grades in 2 years then decided to go to High School last year, which she also skipped a grade there. And last May she started college and is finishing out her High School credits concurrently while going to college.

Even when we were JWs I never geared her not go to college. It was going to be her decision. But now that we are out ... IT'S ALL GOODDD.

Smiles

• snowbird
    snowbird

That's great news, Smiles_Smiles.

When my child was 12 and scored a 25 on the ACT, one elder's wife told her how Jehovah could use her brain in the New System!

I knew then and there that my child was going to college to use her brain in the here and now. Such unreasoning stupidity!

Sylvia

• flipper
    flipper

PARLI, SARAH, and SNOWBIRD- So cool you folks are helping your kids get an education. Just think , with the education all these ex-witness kids get, maybe the braintrusts of the bunch can figure out a way to dismantle the witness cult ! I wish. Gawd, I wish ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Three of my four children have a Bachelor of Science Degree. My youngest will finish hers up in two years.

Sadly my oldest still went back to the Witnesses. I find it very interesting how the Watchtower discourages higher education yet those who have it get so much more respect. My kid is now an elder and he's only 33 years old. Everyone looks up to him because he's "Educated"

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

When my son decided to stay on at school after he turned 16 there was so much criticism from the elders - Why isn't he thinking of pioneering? Does this mean he is planning on going to university? they were shocked. He was torn. Finally he decided to stay on but promised to auxillary pioneer during the holidays.

I reallly wanted to allow him the option of going to university. But after he completing his A levels at 18 he pioneered then went to Bethel for 5 years, got married, now has a baby and is finally completing his degree. He is still a loyal dub, an MS, juggling work and study. He finds himself forced to do his degree to find suitable work. He has alway had a recurring problem with eczema on his hands so window cleaning and other cleaning was impossible.

I have recently gone back to further education and am enjoying it immensely.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

My daughter's a sophomore in college. The starting salary in her field of study is probably 3 times what her father makes after nearly 3 decades in the workforce. My son is in the process of applying to colleges now.

I never went to college, although I loved learning and wanted to go very badly. I pioneered instead, like a good little dubbie. Like another poster here, I'm feeling very fulfilled by my kids' success in school and their choices to further their education. I'm soooo happy for them.

GGG

• Enjoying freedom
    Enjoying freedom

I love being able to take my daughter to Junior Choir, knowing that she will be able to join in all the concerts - and not having to miss out anything to do with Christmas carols, Easter concerts etc etc. There is no guilt about attending choir practice every Saturday morning!

I left the dubs when I was in my early/mid 20's. Since leaving I have (to my astonishment!) now got a masters degree (LLM) in law, been promoted at work a few times, and now manage a county wide team.

My parents (also ex dubs/ex elder) have supported me through all this - for which I am very very grateful!

There is definitely life and opportunity after "JW life" , but you can only benefit from this if you leave the JW religion.

• flipper
    flipper

LOVER OF TRUTH- Bachelor of science degree, yes ! Even though the witnesses diss education , they are forced to acknowledge education works and has it's benefits.

QUIETLY LEAVING- Glad to hear your son is getting an education . But it made it harder on him with the responsibilities of being married with kids to finally attain it. Goddamned elders are all a bunch of idiots for counseling against college for your son. No other term for them , considering they don't have an education.

GOING , GOING , GONE- Yes , it is humbling when we see our kids could make 3 times the amount money we make . But very gratifying that we are helping our kids with their future.

ENJOYING FREEDOM- Very true . Congratulations on your Masters degree in law. My niece got her degree in law a few years ago. But like you said , only after she got out of the JW cult

• Enjoying freedom
    Enjoying freedom

Thank you Mr Flipper - and congratulations on your 1st anniversary (from other thread!!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit