As a Parent Out of the Witnesses, Are We Helping Our Kids Education ?

by flipper 21 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Hello All. Checked my other threads and noticed I had not covered this in reference to our kids, thought it was important. So, how are all you parents doing ? Do any of you have children, in their early 20's who are pursuing their education, and are they doing well ? My son is 22, in a university working on his bachelor's majoring in geography and soil science. It is our way of overcoming what the witness organization made us feel guilty about, that is, getting a good quality education to become better prepared in life to provide for ourselves, as well as social skills .

Unfortunately, I have 2 daughters 20 and 19, still in the witnesses, who got married young at 19 and 18 , and because of indoctrination from the Jehovah's Witnesses, will probably never get a further education. Hopefully their marriages go good, stay intact, but it is well known in society, if a divorce ever happens, those with a better education will be able to weather the storm with attaining a job which will sustain them economically more effeciently. So , it would be nice to hear from any of you, parents or otherwise, how you are helping your education process after being denied such in the cultish witness religion, and how your children are doing with this too. So any and all experiences are welcome ! It will be good for any of us, as well as young people getting out of the witnesses to see what they can do to improve themselves in education after the witness life is done. All your experiences are welcome !! Thanks, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

I have 4 kids, oldest is in Germany, got her mandatory school diploma there, took on an apprenticeship with a company, then got training on the job and now works for Microsoft. My twinkies, one got her beauticians license the other graduated from the Art Institute of Seattle in Fashion Designing and my 17 yr. old....pending.

LINDA

• snowbird
    snowbird

Evening, Mr. Flipper. Another one of your on-the-money topics.

The Witnesses reached me during high school - a very vulnerable time in my life. I was searching for direction and stability after going through a tumultuous childhood. I dropped out of college to help spread the "good news." This was after graduating #1, by default, in my class. The actual #1 had to forfeit the honor due to being great with child ... but, I digress.

Anyway, my 18-year daughter in now in a university double majoring in Business/International Studies. She graduated #2 in her class this year and will be awarded an IB Diploma in December. She wanted to pioneer, but I insisted that she go to college first. I wasn't going to let her fall through the same cracks that I did.

The WTS is a taker, not a giver. They will use you until you're useless to yourself and them. Then they will toss you like a dirty washcloth. My hope and my prayers are that my child will come to see them for the users that they really are.

Thank you for broaching this subject.

Sylvia

• Carmel
    Carmel

My eldest son got his degree in International Economics but never used it much as he is a self taught computer whiz. #2 son got his degree in Middle Eastern Studies, but like #1 is a computer genius and fares quite well working for the Department of Justice in California. Daughter #2 is in graduate school studiing for her MD and son #3 is just getting started with a focus on computer science and business admin. Our adopted daughter chose not to go on to college in spite of our encouragement. Hormons got in the way and she never took advantages of opportunities after our grandson was born. Education in our family was priority #1 but we made our kids earn their money for school. They are/were all honor students. carmel

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

My daughter and son are back in college. I encourage them and help them when needed. What is sad they are light years ahead of me when I was in my early 20s. (Thanks to borg training)

• changeling
    changeling

My son is a college freshman.

changeling

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

REBORNAGAIN:

From your picture, you're a hottie, and don't look old enough to have 4 kids that age!

Whoa! lol. :)

- Wing Commander

• Gayle
    Gayle

Four out of five of my children have finished college and the fifth (via Marines & going on his GI loan) is one more than half way through. They have done it on their own through scholarships, grants and loans. I went to many community college classes just after JWdom when they were young, though I didn't get a college degree, I instilled their necessity to go to college. Their accomplishments have fulfilled me for what I was denied.

• flipper
    flipper

REBORN AGAIN- Sounds great ! Sounds like your kids are doing very well ! Kudos to you as a parent for showing them the way! Great work!

SNOWBIRD- I know how you feel about your lost youth. I was a 3.6 gpa in high school and felt I could have done more if given the opportunity, now I have to work to pay the bills. Glad to hear your 18 year old daughter is doing well ! Great work, mom!

CARMEL- Sounds like your kids are astoundingly brilliant! Bet they are chips off the old block ! Good job!

GREENHORNET- It's great what you are doing for your kids. I felt too that I wanted my son to have what I didn't have. A chance for further education.

CHANGELING- Great job mom! What is your son studying as a freshman ?

GAYLE- Doesn't it feel great to see your kids having that opportunity to do well in college ? Good job, mom. Peace out, thanks for your comments, Mr. Flipper

• snowbird
    snowbird

Bump - the - Bump

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit