Personal experiences...

by *summer* 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Iron Rod
    Iron Rod

In my case it was freedom from the Witlesses that allowed me, for the first time in my life, to actually begin to study the Bible in an objective manner. That study has destroyed my faith in the Bible as being anything more than the writings of men trying to explain things that everyone wondered about, but couldn't explain.

I'm speaking for myself, of course, and I mean no disrespect to those of you who still believe in the Bible.

Let me put it this way Black Swan...

Iron Rod responds, "Uh...well actually Jehovah, now that you mention it, yes you could make it much clearer. Like how this book, supposedly inspired by you; the Supreme Being, perfect and omnipotent, contains so many contradictions, redactions, and outright absurdities. How is it that your book, that is supposed to be the one source of communication from yourself to mankind, is preserved in a hodge-podge bunch of weathered manuscripts containing more than 200,000 variations? How is it that, since you supposedly chose to confuse human languages a few thousand years ago, making the translation of this all important book into the various languages extremely difficult, you expect us to see clearly what you want of us? I'm sorry Jehovah, but I just can't help but think that the Creator of the universe, humans, and language could have made it a hell of a lot clearer."

Let me say again, it truly is not my intention to offend anyone. These are just the thoughts that I am having now.

• *summer*
    *summer*

thank you for your input Iron Rod. from where i stand right now with the JWs, each and every input counts. thank you. i am still waiting for my book Crisis of Conscience to be delivered. after that, i intend to get a King James version of the bible. and just as you did, study the bible in an objective manner. i am taking my time because it is important to me. and if armaggedon should arrive before i am done...oh well...hasta la vista, baby:-) until then, i still find comfort in the new testament. on the other hand, i am so happy i found this site. it is really THE site that opened my eyes. and i believe i was not taken here by coincidence*

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Jehovah protects me and I know! I have tried to live my life with Jehovah in mind! It's not a matter of just reading and studying the bible anymore it is a matter of practicing doing what is right. I choose to do the right thing every day that is in front of me. I make choices to do what is right and if people can not see it too bad. I have a closer relationship with God now that I am out of the cult and my action speaks for it self. For example; I am not going to okay drugs! it's wrong and demonic. Smoking weed because you are sick is an excuse to do drugs. So I am not going to have people around me acting stupid or speaking crazy! I choice what is right with God! samething with fornicators and etc. I do not need a religion to tell me what is right or wrong. I m not going to tolerate what is bad! On the flip side, I am not going to condem people to judgement that is Jesus job and I thank God for Jesus. He has a hard job! :-) MY experiences with the Jehovah Witnesses and raised into a cult group does not make my bitter toward Jehovah my first love, but the organization yes and I will be in shock for the rest of my life!

• V1710
    V1710

the first few years out of jw's i tried very hard to keep reading the bible but I found reading it trigured too much guilt and anxiety so i put it away. i've attended a few church services and tried not to let jw judgements taint my view, but found the services shallow and meaningless. we attended some classes at the TUMC (Trinity United Methodist Church) and when the pastor wanted us to join i told him I could never belong to organized religion again. I still believe in God and that Christ is my savior. The book A COURSE IN MIRACLES helped to cleanse my mind.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

*summer*, I have just finished reading Crisis of Conscience (4th. edition, 2004), and I would highly recommend it. Everyone should read it - even active JWs! Especially them, I suppose. If they still believe in the organization as God's only channel after that, then... I guess they deserve to be there.

Raymond Franz continued to believe in the Bible and its God after he left, and dedicates quite some space in his book talking about that.

I did not.

However, initially it wasn't so much because of what I had been taught or had experienced with the JWs. I actually kept on believing in Jehovah for a while after fading out of the JWs. Organized religion was out the window for me, though. But I thought at least I could continue believing in God on my own. Started reading the Bible without my JW glasses on, after that tried to get some insight into other religions' beliefs (why exclude them?), but after a while, instead of getting stronger in faith, I felt I couldn't believe at all. Or - I would have to settle for a God "floating around" out there that I couldn't really get to know, but had created the universe and life, and more or less left it to its own devices.

Started looking into scientific explanations, but when they contradicted my now dwindling beliefs, I would search for answers from Christian 'scientists' that could "calm me down" and confirm what I hoped was right (I wanted to believe, after all). At the time, I had no idea what Creationism or Intelligent Design was, other than that I thought the latter idea was a good one, and one I could support. Little did I know that Intelligent Design is more or less not an idea, but a group of people pretending to do scientific work to see if evidence for a Creator exists, but in reality when you get right down to it, they're Christians with a "refined" and "modernized" version of Creationism, who wants Jesus into the science classes, more or less. When I finally "gathered the strength" to do so, I started looking into scientific explanations without running them through a religious and - as it turned out - often misleading and sometimes outright lying filter.

I don't believe science has all the answers, but science and logical reasoning has at least removed any 'institutionalized' gods from my universe (and beyond). Jehovah (YHWH) is a biblical concept, and armageddon is a mostly Christian and - as we know it - JW concept, so I've dismissed them both, because I have for the most part dismissed the Bible. By all means - there's a lot of great things written in the Bible (as in many ancient works), and I'm sure some of the principles found there can give people a richer and better life, but the inspired Word of the Creator of the universe? I didn't see that in it. Too much twisting, interpretation and dismissal of certain passages is needed for that to be even remotely likely in my opinion. And then it's no longer likely (!).

A lot of people remain Christian or religious in general after leaving JWs though - we'll all have to come to our own conclusions based on our own research, findings and experiences.

I'm not leading a life that should warrant a death penalty (not even by Christian standards) should there indeed be a God out there, and if that God finds it necessary to give only a few people eternal life based on a very narrow set of beliefs ('one in a million' quite literally), then I guess I don't want to be in that God's "club".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit