W.I. Mann

by maplaza 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• maplaza
    maplaza

I would need some biographical information about William I. Mann, one of the first collaborators of Russell and at some time Vicepresident of the Zions Watch Tower.

I would need place and year of birth and death; years of his vicepresidency; studies; relation with Russell; when and how he knew Russell, etc. etc.

Does anyone know if he had musical studies?

Thanks

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

As many years as I have been on these boards, this is the first time I have ever heard of him. Good luck in your search, I hope you can uncover some more scandalous details.

• snowbird
    snowbird

You may want to try here: http://amazingforums.com/forum/HGREW/forum.html

Not much biographical info, however.

Sylvia

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Courtesy of MerryMagdalene:

From The Herald of Christ's Kingdom, Feb. 1931, published by the Bible Students who seperated from the Watchtower-- "The name of W. I. Mann will be known to many "Herald" readers as one who co-labored with Brother Russell in the early days of his ministry, as he wrote many articles that appeared in The Watch Tower at that time. It seems that for some little time this Brother had been attending the little meetings of our brethren in Rochester, and had enjoyed their studies with them. He had expressed his intention of being present at the meetings during my visit also, but meantime had passed away. The brethren in Rochester were impressed with his sincerity and had enjoyed his brief association with them. "The Lord knoweth them that are His."" (http://www.heraldmag.org/archives/1931_2.htm).....

His attending the ecclesia in Rochester just before he died connects up well with this news item from Cornell Alumni News, December 18, 1930-- "'04 BSA—William I. Mann, father of Dean Albert R. Mann '04, died at his home in Rochester, N. Y. on December 4, at the age of 86. He was born in Dundee, Scotland, coming to this country at an early age. He was mechanical engineer for the Carnegie Steel Company for twenty-five years and for the Jones and Laughlin Company fifteen years. Mr. Mann retired fifteen years ago. Charles W. Mann ?6 is also his son." (dspace.library.cornell.edu/bitstream/1813/3548/23/033_13.pdf).....

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

According to the 1920 census, a certain William I. Mann was born in c. 1844 in Scotland, and who immigrated in 1866 and was naturalized in 1875. He was employed as a mechanical engineer in a machine shop, he was widowed, and he had two daughers who lived with him, Jessie I. Mann (51 years old, single) and Marion E. Mann (47 years old, single). They lived at 180 Hampden Road, Rochester, Monroe, New York.

I'm not sure if this is the right William I. Mann. But we know that the Mann associated with Russell lived in Rochester around that time.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I found the same William I. Mann in the 1910 census, and there I see that his wife's name was Sarah Mann, 62, born in New Jersey, and they also had a son named Charles W. Mann, 31. Interestingly, he was born in Pennsylvania, suggesting and William and Sarah lived in Pennsylvania (i.e. near Pastor Russell?) in c. 1879.

According to the California Death Index, Charles William Mann was born on 1/4/1879 in Pennsylvania (whose mother's maiden name was Lansing, i.e. Sarah Lansing) and he died on 12/3/1943 in Los Angeles, California. However it is not clear what his relation is....I looked up the WWI Draft Card for Charles William Mann, born 1/4/1879, but he lived in 1917 in Washington, D.C. and his nearest relative was listed as Caroline J. Mann, which doesn't quite fit with the other information. I would have also expected to find an exemption for religious reasons, but none were stated.

• badboy
    badboy

IN 1880 CENSUS, I BELIEVE HE MIGHT HAVE BEEN RESIENT IN WILKINS ,ALLEGHENY.PENN

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Hi Leo! Wonder if he's our Mann? The joys of neither being able to confirm nor deny...yet.

William I Mann is also mentioned >here< in interesting context (relationship with Russel and some who broke away from Russel) but no biographical info.

However, John H. Paton, did publish notice of Conley's death in his own competing "THE WORLD'S HOPE" magazine. Who was John H. Paton? Paton was the other prominent Nelson Barbour follower (besides Russell), who later sided with Russell when Russell and Barbour split up. Paton authored many of the "Watch Tower" magazine's articles until Russell and he split up in 1881. Evidently, William H. Conley and John H. Paton (who lived in Michigan) remained friends after the Russell-Paton split (or possibly re-established such after the Conley-Russell split). Interestingly, Paton was notified of Conley's death by William I. Mann, who had been Vice-President of the Watch Tower Society from the time of "incorporation" in 1884 until 1892. Mann had also authored many of the "Watch Tower" magazine's articles between 1879 and 1888. At some point however, Mann also separated from Russell. Mann's letter (or telegram) to Paton referred to William H. Conley as "Our very dear friend and brother". Mann's note indicated that he and several others had conducted a "prayer and praise" service at Conley's bedside the very day of his death.

http://www.exjws.net/museum/WilliamConley.htm

~Merry

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

As badboy says, there was a Wm. J. [confused with I. ?] Mann in Wilkins, Alleghany, PA during the 1880 census, with a wife named Sara, a bunch of daughters and son named Chas.

According to Zion's Watchtower, W.I. Mann lived in Swissvale, PA in 1880. I don't know the difference between a township (Wilkins) and a burough (Swissvale) but Swissvale isnt listed in the census so maybe this is him...?

http://www.mostholyfaith.com/bible/reprints/Z1880APR.asp

~Merry

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thanks, badboy, you're right....according to the 1880 census there lived in Wilkins, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, William J. Mann, 26, employed as draftsman, Sarah Mann, 32, daughters Jessie Mann, 18, Bertha Mann, 10, Mary (= Marion) Mann, 7, May Mann, 6, Maggie Mann, 4, and son Charles Mann, 1. That fits nicely with the information from other sources, and puts William Mann in Allegheny at the very time Charles Russell started Zion's Watch Tower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit