The appendix does have a function

by BrentR 15 Replies latest watchtower medical

• BrentR
    BrentR

Those of us that have studied alternative health have known this for years but western medicine just "discovered" that the appendix does have a function.

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article3038404.ece

I wonder if MD's will start prescribing probiotics along with every antibiotic they dispense.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I found this sooo fascinating:

And other 'spare parts'

* Male nipples

Men have nipples and mammary tissue which can be stimulated to produce milk. They can also get breast cancer.

* Wisdom teeth

Early humans had an extra row of molars to help with the vast quantity of vegetation they had to chew .

* Coccyx

The remains of a tail lost long before man began to walk upright six million years ago.

* Spare ribs

Humans have 12 ribs but about eight per cent of people have an extra pair, as do chimps and gorillas.

******************************************************************************************************************************************

To fill in for mama in case of emergency?

Sylvia

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I think it's more accurate to say it did have a function, but in developed countries now it has become obsolete. Everything in our bodies had a function at some point.

I'm unsure how this is a 'new discovery' though. I knew about this ages ago.

• BrentR
    BrentR

If it re-colonizes our lower intestinal tract after a bout of "the runs" then it still has a function. I would not want to wait for re-colonizing to happen sometime later all the while running the risk of yeast overgrowth.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Well - what happens to all those who remove it at a young age [in little populated areas] (most who remove it do so before they're 14)? Have there been any studies of adverse effects throughout their life after having removed it, in conjunction with various intestinal diseases?

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Well, to quote from the article:

This function has been made obsolete by modern, industrialised society; populations are now so dense that people pick up essential bacteria from each other, allowing gut organisms to regrow without help from the appendix, the researchers said.
  • oompa
    oompa

The only function of appendix 1-d is to mislead people!....obsessed....oompa

• greendawn
    greendawn

"This function has been made obsolete by modern, industrialised society; populations are now so dense that people pick up essential bacteria from each other, allowing gut organisms to regrow without help from the appendix, the researchers said."

How can that be, how do people pick up gut bacteria from each other? It looks like science fiction produced to support their theory.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I don't buy that either. We would have to eat sewage to get the candida albicans, acidophylus and bifidus cultures. I have always used probiotic supplements after a go around with the runs or have taken antibiotics. Most people do not and end up with a flora imbalance in thier lower intestine.

(I am trying very hard to keep this from an overshare or TMI post)

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Wouldn't the kind of bacteria made in the appendix go into the rest of the body when needed, and pass to other humans by these methods?

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/virusbacteria.htm

Bacteria exist everywhere, inside and on our bodies. Most of them are completely harmless and some of them are very useful.

Viral and bacterial infections are both spread in basically the same ways.

A person with a cold can spread the infection by coughing and/or sneezing.

Bacteria or viruses can be passed on by touching or shaking hands with another person.

Touching food with dirty hands will also allow viruses or bacteria from the intestine to spread.

Body fluids such as blood, saliva and semen can contain the infecting organisms and transmission of such fluids, for example by injection or sexual contact, is important, particularly for viral infections like hepatitis or AIDS.

So that even with the appendix removed, you could still pick up what you need from others, who still have their appendix?

Another news article has more-

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/10/05/appendix.purpose.ap/index.html

If a person's gut flora dies, it can usually be repopulated easily with germs they pick up from other people, he said. But before dense populations in modern times and during epidemics of cholera that affected a whole region, it wasn't as easy to grow back that bacteria and the appendix came in handy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit