Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

by jgnat 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• Heaven
  • finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

what's the deal with the canadian thanksgiving? never heard of it before

• Scully
    Scully

It's the same idea as American Thanksgiving, except Americans observe Columbus Day today, so they had to move it to the third Thursday in November to coincide with football games and Black Friday.

• Heaven
    Heaven

On Thursday, January 31, 1957, the Canadian Parliament proclaimed:

“ A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed – to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October."

As a liturgical festival, Thanksgiving corresponds to the English and continental European Harvest festival, with churches decorated with cornucopias, pumpkins, corn, wheat sheaves, and other harvest bounty, English and European harvest hymns sung on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend, and scriptural selections drawn from biblical stories relating to the Jewish harvest festival of Sukkot.

However, almost nobody in North America actually recognizes Thanksgiving as a liturgical holiday anymore and these rituals, if they happen at all, are not remotely within the public consciousness. Rather, Thanksgiving is seen by Canadians in the 21st century almost exclusively as a day to share a meal with extended family, free of any religious, historical or political context.

I think it's that we want to get Thanksgiving and Hallowe'en over with in October so we have almost 2 months to get ready for Christmas. Just a personal observation there.

We have Christmas stuff in the stores already.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Scully & Heaven

Thanks for for the info

to all Canadians on the board Happy Thanks Giving

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm cooking a turkey - pumpkin pie and whipped cream for dessert.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Thanks Giving for you but not for me ............ God bless vegetarians !

• Heaven
    Heaven

Finkelstein, some Tofurkey perhaps?

Cooked Tofurkey

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Tofurkey? That's just weird.

Actually one of my daughters was a hard core vegan for a while, so at holidays I always made double meals. i.e. a seafood paella and a vegetarian paella at Xmas. I never did try the fake turkey thing, tho.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Mamochan13... I Looooooves da Punkin Pie wif Whipped Creams!...

Punkin Pie wif Whipped Cream

I personally have never eaten Tofurkey. I guess it's one alternative. Your paella sounds good; I think I'd rather go with that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit