Is America unofficially a theocracy?

by Madame Quixote 13 Replies latest social current

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Rational thinkers want candidates and the powers that be to address this question publically via the YouTube question & answer thingy.

You can go there and vote for "Answer" at:

http://www.communitycounts.us/debates/?q=repubdebate&ans=all&menu=&search=Is+America+unofficially+a+theocracy%3F&all=1

I think this topic deserves a public polititcal discussion, but a lot of fundies (who are voting against even discussing it) don't want it touched.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W
    a lot of fundies (who are voting against even discussing it)

See...here's the thing that kills me....

• JeffT
    JeffT

Why should anybody discuss something with a bunch of bigots? The people who call Christians "fundies" obviuosly already have their minds made up.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    The people who call Christians "fundies" obviuosly already have their minds made up.

I think you jumped to a conclusion here.

Nobody called all Christians "fundies". Fundies is a shortened term for fundamentalists. A reasonable assessment of American politics in the past few election cycles has shown that the fundamentalist / evangelical branch of Chrisitanity has aligned itself with conservative politicians in various forms (Moral Majoriy and various groups with "Family" in their name) to try to convince Americans that this is a "Christian" nation and that only people whose stated "values" align with certain fundamental / evangelical beliefs deserve to be elected.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Yes.

Worth looking at, Madame Q.

• 5go
    5go
    Nobody called all Christians "fundies". Fundies is a shortened term for fundamentalists. A reasonable assessment of American politics in the past few election cycles has shown that the fundamentalist / evangelical branch of Chrisitanity has aligned itself with conservative politicians in various forms (Moral Majoriy and various groups with "Family" in their name) to try to convince Americans that this is a "Christian" nation and that only people whose stated "values" align with certain fundamental / evangelical beliefs deserve to be elected.

They also tend to hypocrites.

Some one said I can remember who, "fascism would enter the US draped in a flag and holding a cross".

Much like it has in other countries it always hold it's self to be the right and just way and every thing else that does not hold to the right and just way as the Great E---vil !!!

Even if the parties have nothing in common and don't get along the are all the same great evil.

This is another reason I stop listening to the right.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Some one said I can remember who, "fascism would enter the US draped in a flag and holding a cross".

That would be the great Minnesotan and American author Sinclair Lewis (1885-1951).

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Haven't viewed the You Tube yet but unless something like a big voice (preferably female) blasts from the skies in every language at the same time to let us know wassup there isn't a chance of "theocracy". If there is any teeny bit of human between you and god then it is not "Theocracy".

• Gopher
    Gopher

DIG,

A theocracy can have religious representatives (priests or a church) CLAIMING to represent God , to either take the place of or dominate a civil government. I think that's the sense the question refers to.

Your sense is the purest theocracy or "God-rule", but in reality that has never happened.

America is not a theocracy yet. But is it heading down that road? It's a question worth examining, IMHO.

• nvrgnbk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit