So who moved Ockham's Razor? interesting take on 9/11 conspiracy theories

by coffee_black 56 Replies latest social current

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I read this in the Providence Journal today... found it really interesting.

So who moved Ockham’s Razor?

01:00 AM EDT on Sunday, October 7, 2007

Theodore L. Gatchel

A FEW YEARS AGO, everyone seemed to be talking about a little book called Who Moved My Cheese? I’m not worried about the cheese, but I would like to know what happened to Ockham’s Razor. If you have never heard of William of Ockham, an important philosopher from the Middle Ages, or his concept of ontological parsimony that has become known as Ockham’s Razor, don’t fret. I was 44 before I learned about them.

Unknowingly, however, I had already received a rudimentary education in the concept from an unlikely source. During the summer between my 9th and 10th grades, I worked in a service station in Algiers, La. During the weekends, I was on the night shift and worked with an elderly — at least I thought so at the time — mechanic, who became my mentor.

Apparently thinking that I had the ability to rise above simply pumping gas, he began to teach me auto mechanics. One of the first things he taught me was that if a car’s engine turned over but wouldn’t start, check to see if there was gas in the tank. Start with the simplest possible solution to the problem.

In the process of earning an engineering degree, I learned about the concept of elegance which holds that the shorter of two otherwise equally valid proofs is the better one. In postgraduate school, I was taught to apply a similar concept when writing computer programs.

The final step in my education along these lines occurred in a philosophy course in which I learned about Ockham’s Razor, which philosophers describe in terms such as “plurality is not to be posited without necessity.” A commonsense translation might be, “Of two equivalent theories or explanations, all other things being equal, the simpler one is to be preferred.”

Not everyone agrees with this approach. American cartoonist Rube Goldberg, for example, made a career of drawing the most complicated devices imaginable to accomplish the simplest of tasks. Today, college students are fond of putting Goldberg’s ideas into practice, using falling dominoes, ping-pong balls, and a variety of other everyday items in the process.

No one takes this approach seriously, however, with the possible exception of conspiracy theorists, who develop Rube-Goldberg-like theories to account for events that can be explained in much simpler terms. The attacks on 9/11 have resulted in a plethora of such theories.

To most people, the events of that day are exactly what they appeared to be and exactly what their perpetrators claim. A small group of members of al-Qaeda hijacked four airliners, crashed two of them into the World Trade Center, one into the Pentagon, and one into a field in Pennsylvania after passengers tried to regain control of the plane.

Conspiracy theorists, on the other hand, believe that the Twin Towers were brought down by explosives planted in them by the government, which also hit the Pentagon with a guided missile, and used a jet fighter to shoot down Flight 93 over Pennsylvania.

One would think that such theories could be settled by the preponderance of evidence, but the very nature of a government conspiracy makes its proponents immune to such thinking. In their view, any evidence that refutes their claims was planted by the government. When evidence to support them is missing, it was surreptitiously removed.

Ultimately, therefore, whether or not you buy into the government-conspiracy theory depends not so much on facts as on what you are willing to believe. To begin, you must believe that a significant number of government employees were willing participants in the murder of other Americans. You must also believe that the same government that has been incapable of keeping highly sensitive National Intelligence Estimates off the front pages of the nation’s newspapers is capable of keeping evidence of the worst crime in our country’s history absolutely secret.

This secrecy is important because the conspiracy involves not only the people who planned and executed the operation but thousands of others who have investigated and studied the events in detail. In the eyes of the conspiracy theorists, anyone who does not agree with them has been somehow intimidated, bribed, or otherwise coerced into supporting the government’s line.

Finally, and most importantly, you must believe that the same government that flawlessly orchestrated one of the most complex conspiracies in history was unable to carry out the relatively simple task of “finding” weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

If you can believe all that, I have an even more elaborate theory for you. The events of 9/11 took place exactly as you claim with one important exception. The conspiracy wasn’t carried out by the government, but by a small coterie of individuals in the government who hate President Bush and believed that the only way that he could be brought down was to goad him into a war that they could then sabotage. They did this in such a way that the thousands of Americans who were party to the conspiracy believed they were actually working for the government.

Do I really believe that? Of course not. Would any reasonable person believe it? I hope not. Will someone believe it? Almost certainly, which illustrates why it is so important that whoever moved Ockham’s Razor put it back immediately.

Col. Theodore L. Gatchel (USMC, Ret.), a monthly contributor, is a military historian and a professor of operations at the Naval War College. The views here are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Naval War College, the U.S. Navy, or the Department of Defense.

*****************************************************************************************

Coffee

• VM44
    VM44

Excellent article!

Thank you for posting it.

--VM44

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks for that article. The usual spelling is Occam's, but Ockham's is an accepted alternate spelling.

The Bush administration is hardly capable of reaching any of its goals. To believe it could carry out an elaborate scheme to fool American's into thinking it was attacked, would be the height of Rube Goldberg-type thinking.

The events were so enormous, sometimes it goes against human nature to accept that the truth of the matter is simple. I believe the truth is that America was attacked by Al-Qaeda, both in 2001 and also in the original World Trade Center bombing back in 1993.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Great title to that article. W/o even reading, I was able to know the point being made.

And it's so true.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

a good rule to follow - the simple explanation is likely the true one. Also, whenever I hear someone start their pitch with the claim that someone "doesn't want you to know" something, my BS detector starts howling.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Where can I buy one of those BS Detectors?

Outaservice

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Thanks for that very concise article. I'm so tired of the conspiracy theories about 9/11. And I do mean tired. It just wearies me every time they come up.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thanks too....that's the point (or, one of the points) I've been making as well. Occam's Razor is especially important in light of logistics. Planners tend to keep operations as simple as possible in order to avoid unnecessary complications that could screw up the mission or bring unwanted exposure.

Here is what I wrote a week ago in this forum on the same subject: "Use Ockham's Razor. How would the CT [conspiracy theory] account for all the evidence it was not designed to explain, and is that explanation more probable than the alternative? Does the 9/11 plan as envisioned by CTs [conspiracy theorists] make logistical sense? Is it the kind of plan that you can see the planners green-lighting or does it look like it was made up ad hoc on the basis of apparent anomalies (e.g. hit planes into WTC but fake a collapse with secretly-done CD, but not use a plane to destroy the Pentagon but use a missile and fake the evidence that it was a plane, etc.)? What needless risks would such a plan involve (e.g. someone discovering explosives in the WTC before 9/11, unexploded bombs in the rubble, someone on the freeway or in Arlington snapping a photo or video of the missile, etc.)? How many people would had to have been 'in on it'? A major problem with most CTs is that the implications are not thought through. Plausibility is not taken into account."

• VM44
    VM44

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

I have used Ockham's Razor many times to argue my point in this or that. but one thing about it; it is not a proof of anything at all. In reality complexity exists on every level. if we were to apply Ockham's Razor to everything, we would never have invented rockets, cured diseases etc. The truth of the matter is that things are exactly as complex as they happen to be. They are neither less complex nor more complex than they really are. just because we think it makes sense that it should be less complex, or if it is logical that it be less complex, this does not change the reality of the matter, and it doesn't take the place of, or nullify actual empirical evidence. Just because something is PREFERRABLE does not make it true. So, Ockham's theory does not prove anything at all. The loop hole in it is "all things being equal." It is not equal to the reality to assume that something is less complicated than it really is.

In the case of 9/11 theories, first of all, labeling them conspiracy theories is an ad hominem attack. It is labeling and name calling. Second, there are a lot of unanswered questions. When I hear someone say that the towers were not demolitioned, I think, "Really" with a sarcastic tone in my voice. "It sure looks like a demolition to me, and to EVERYBODY. Gee, so those planes were the first planes in all of history to be completely evaporated without a single trace?" "Really" is my reply.

I'm not saying I know the answers, I'm just saying, I think we need to keep investigating 9/11. there is just too many unanswered questions. And that Popular Mechanics article was just not very convincing. it bordered on the ridiculous. If only there were a SINGLE other plane/building catastrophe that could verify that buildings would fall like a demolition upon impact, it would be easier to believe. But the singularity of this event is what should make everyone be very suspicious. In fact, the Empire State building DID endure a plane collision. I believe it was a B-52 if I'm not mistaken. The building is still there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit