Did you get a little pressured to get baptized young?

by outofthebox 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

Yes - and got baptized at 13.

That being said - today (being 40 something) if my young daughter wanted to be baptized as a Christian I would not stand in her way. Because that choice is between her and God. The problem with the JW's is the baptism is a contract of types that is more than what is between the child and God. They step in and enforce a whole bunch of rules and punisment for baptized people and they put themselves between the person and God. I would definately step in (if I were still a witness) and not let my child get baptized until they were an adult.

Thank God I am out of that crazy cult!

• watson
    watson

I wanted to get baptized at 13, but Pops told me he wanted me to be sure ( and this was 1971!! He was a cool JW Dad), so I held off till 15. We were all caught up in the pre 1975 hype.

• tonerlungs
    tonerlungs

I could not agree with you more, wings. What a choice: drone, a fake, a loser, or a total reject. It is an abomination.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...As a Young JW ..The WBT$ uses your Parents,to "Hold a Gun to your Head"..(Figuratively speaking,of course)...OUTLAW

• yknot
    yknot

All the kids in my congo (except me) were by their parents. Yep most were Df-ed or Reproofed.

I don't believe in child baptism, Jesus was 29 or about 30!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

When my son was 16, a sister in the cong asked me why he wasn't baptized. I said he'll get baptized when he's ready. After all, Jesus was 30 years old when he was baptized. At the next service meeting, one of the elders mentioned that we shouldn't think that we should wait until age 30 to get baptized. I know this sister went to him.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

When my son was 16, a sister in the cong asked me why he wasn't baptized. I said he'll get baptized when he's ready. After all, Jesus was 30 years old when he was baptized. At the next service meeting, one of the elders mentioned that we shouldn't think that we should wait until age 30 to get baptized. I know this sister went to him.

Actually

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Actually my son did get baptized at age 17, but it was his own

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Actually my son did get baptized at age 17, but it was his own decision.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Actually my son did get baptized at age 17, but it was his own decision.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit