JWs Have a NEW TACTIC (at least to me)

by Gretchen956 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I have a new job now and take mass transit, the MAX train into town and then a short bus trip to work. In between I have about 3 to 6 blocks to traverse, depending on what time it is and which bus I'm catching. Today I'm walking the last bit to my stop and watching the street for signs of the bus, and two women come walking up, at a good clip, and I can tell they are handing something out. Up the block a ways they were handing out samples of breakfast sandwiches, so I just thought it was some advertising like that had been. They come rapidly up on my left side and she shoves this magazine at my hand. Instinctively I reached out for it. Then I saw it.

AWAKE it said. I'm sure my face must have been priceless. Just as instinctively I went phhffftttt, like I'm going to take that. But the two ladies didn't even break stride. When I didn't take it, they walked on, still at a good clip, still shoving magazines at people's hands during rush hour when people like me weren't paying attention.

Anyone else experience this or is this some new invention? What happened to the people standing there like zombies holding them up. Guess they weren't "placing" enough. I kind of wondered if their magazine cupboard was getting too full and they didn't want to throw them away.

Sherry

• delilah
    delilah

Crazy!!! How can they count the time, without ever having spoken a word? Oh, I suppose they are concentrating on placements instead of time?

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

nah, not new.

My non-JW brother has a white collar job but occasionally works a PT gig at a gas station north of Atlanta.... he calls it "guerilla witnessing".... He said they just came in, caught his eye long enough to hand him a rag, and flew out of there. He did have customers that time, but since he has said they do it even if he is not busy. However, he wanted to talk to them because he wanted to know what time the Memorial was! This was several years ago.

My other non-JW brother also did the gas station/convenience store gig...he tells the same story...he is in Iowa... he just quit that gig recently.

Guess they are getting desperate. Good.

SnakesInTheTower (of the "hasn't been in Field Circus since Dec 06" Sheep Class)

• White Dove
    White Dove

My friend and I used to walk around Pioneer Square in Portland handing out magazines, eating hotdogs, and drinking Starbucks. We did approach people. BTW, just try getting from Vancouver to Portland using walk--Ctran--walk--TriMet--Max--walk and making good time to PCC. I couldn't get enough of Max! Thought the train was going to fall off the tracks sometimes going on the bridge over the Willamette. Loved it!!! Can you tell I miss Portland?

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Max is awesome. The thing about this morning is that they caught me off guard. If I knew they did it that way I would have grabbed one of them and wouldn't have cared if I was late to work. I'll keep my eye open. Perhaps I should print out some of the stuff from Barbara's CD and trade them literature.

Sherry

• ESTEE
    ESTEE
    They come rapidly up on my left side and she shoves this magazine at my hand. Instinctively I reached out for it.

Gretchen --- well, that's just icky. No one has done that here --- yet.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Sounds like the pioneer push is on for September and October. They probably ordered waaaay toooo many mags.

Love

ESTEE

• Soledad
    Soledad

Don't you know you're not supposed to just reach out for whatever is being handed to you on the street? You're supposed to do what we do here in NY: jump in front of oncoming traffic just to avoid the flyers guy!

That is not new. It is the way JWs witness here. Before walking through train doors was prohibited, they used to get on the last subway car and hand out their tracts and magazines to everyone on each car, working their way through to the first car. If you got up and tried to leave into the next car, they would follow you. If you got off the train, they would still follow you.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wish I could have taken the whole supply of rags and crapts that they were placing and placed every single one of them in the shredder before anyone else got any. That way, they would have nothing to place. And, if they attempted to shove another rag or crapt in my face again, they could lose the whole batch again.

• oompa
    oompa

....and a helicopter flew over my town dropping tons of back issues....oompa

• changeling
    changeling

Their bookcases must have been cluttered with "back issues".

What a rude form of sevice!

changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit