Show The Love....

by saywhat29 15 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

This is so difficult.

On the one hand, I am so bitter about their hideous beliefs and the fact that I let them manipulate an otherwise strong character for 10 years.

On the other, I took some positive things from the JW practices. Not the beliefs. They almost twisted my mind into suicide. But the practices gave me confidence.

I have some (few), good friends in the org. You know, folk that are an inch away from jacking it all in. Folk that you would have a great night with if they were able to say what they wished and do as they felt. Instead, when I am with them, it is all so stayed and guarded.

I mourn some (a few) real friends that I had over the years. The rest can beat it.

• Kudra
    Kudra

My mom is great too...

I thought she would stifle her dealings with us (me n my sweetie) because we moved in together- you know, not calling to ask about US, not asking questions dealing with our life together etc...

Well, she calls and has long conversations with me, inquires about how I am when my sweetie is out of town, wants to know if I'm lonely or how I feel when he gets back...

Just the other day she sent a card addressed specifically to him congratulating him on a recent big milestone in his life. I think that this shows that she really likes him, and moreover, likes US.

:)

Thanks for starting this topic, it's nice to read... those "most outrageous and terrible JW behavior towards you" and "meanest thing someone's ever said to you" threads were beginning to get me down...

-K

• BFD
    BFD

saywhat, I know how you feel. I went through those emotions myself. My mom and I were very close and she was a fun person. We would go on canoe trips, hiking, camping and day trips around NYC. We would take road trips together. We enjoyed each others company. She and my significant other would love to compare "BFD" stories and it used to drive me nuts. But I loved her very, very much. Then I got a letter in the mail. "A line drawn in the sand" blah blah blah....

Shock and horror don't even describe how it made me feel. She would not take my calls anymore. I don't know if the WT$ decided to come down hard on her or what but, she has been shunning since around 1997. I was DF'd back in the late 70's so it really came out of left field for me and I spent many nights in tears over it. Incomprehensible! It still hurts as I type this.

The tears turned to anger and I said a lot of hurtful things to her. I threw away all my litterature, (yes I still read the junk) and I threw away my green bible that I had since I was a kid. Then I threw away all the letters and cards my mom had sent me over the years. I wanted to have a funeral service for her because she was dead in my eyes. I remained angry for a very long time. But, I learned here that my anger was misplaced. I have forgiven my mom for what she has done to her family. She is convinced she is showing us love. I blame the WT$ now and I am angry at the society for what they have done to so many people.

So yes, I do have many happy memories of times spent with my mom. She was fun, funny and believe it or not free spirited. Due to the WT$ there will be no more happy times for us together. I cherish the memories of days gone by and accept the fact that I will not be adding more fond memories. What we had is gone. They took her away.

Love ya.

Will

• jambon1
    jambon1

BFD - God that is awful. What makes people turn like this? When I think about the way I succumed to their manipulation, I am fairly surprised at how I just took it all. It was like a different person. Maybe your mum is the same, maybe things will change for you. I dearly hope so.

• BFD
    BFD

jam, thank you for your kind words. My mom is getiing up in years now. She just turned 76 last month. I have a feeling the WT$ will dump her in our laps after they use her up. Where else will she go - ironic.

After reading minimus' thread today it makes me sad to think that she is probably falling in the category of "burden" on the congregation. I just don't know anymore. Bastards.

BFD

• Open mind
    Open mind

As a 3rd gen JW "raised-in", my oldest brother taught me many things. He helped me learn to read at a young age (somewhere around 3 or 4). He had a love of languages and helped me learn a bit.

He had the strength of character to be able to like whatever he liked without being concerned what other kids thought of him. (Actually, the dubs probably helped him a little bit in this regard.)

Then he got DFed.

Then I shunned him.

Then he welcomed me back with open arms.

There's a whole lot to love there.

Open Mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit