Scan of a Field Service Time Slip...

by deaconbluez 20 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Maybe we should start using them again for the time we spend on ApostaSites...?

Haha! I'd be a Pioneer!

GGG

• changeling
    changeling

Nvr: that's so funny! You would have apoatate "priviledges"! LOL

changeling

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Sheesh, It's been 24 years since I saw one of those!

Blondie - How are you hun?

nj

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

"..did any of you fill in the details, all dates and the hours and deliveries on very date and stuff before turning it in..."

Yep, I used to be the sort of sad plonker that would fill something in in every line. And then one day an elder that I thought I got on really well with handed one back to me and said something like "That's very impressive".

I figured by his tone of voice he thought I was showing off.

• erynw
    erynw
    "..did any of you fill in the details, all dates and the hours and deliveries on very date and stuff before turning it in..."

You mean did I fill in all of the blanks with the truth? Uh, yeah, I filled out every blank, that's it, yeah, I was super pioneer, that's the ticket.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I wonder if the new slips have a column for subscriptions any more?

I have never seen anything new that eliminated subscriptions. Here's something "big" they can do.
    They can change that column to "Flyers" otherwise known as tracts and invitations and Kingdom News.

Imagine how excited the C.O.'s and elders can pretend to be as "the end is so close" that they really need
    to just leave flyers and move on to warn the next person, that now, they are allowed to "count" flyers.

I should have realized what a cult this was when I met publishers that were excited to fill in higher numbers
    in so many columns. Before eliminating subscriptions, I knew one pioneer sister that said she did her best
    to get a number in every column on her slip. She said subscriptions were the hardest, so she usually tried
    to just get one or two and save others for the next month, spreading them throughout the year.

Thanks for that memory, Blondie.

• kifoy
    kifoy
    I wonder if the new slips have a column for subscriptions any more?

I can't remember, what are subscriptions? Can you bring me up to date?

kifoy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I can't remember, what are subscriptions? Can you bring me up to date?

Once upon a time, the Watchtower and Awake each used to be mailed to homes.
    It was folded in half from top to bottom and slipped inside a wrapper. With 4 issues
    a month, it was coming virtually once a week. (2 WT, 2 Awake)

A subscription cost $5 a year for one mag. or $10 for both. After the all-donation
    process started, they continued sending subscriptions, then they discouraged starting
    them, then they discontinued them. Everyone used to get their issues way before they
    got them at the hall, but no more.

It really was a practical matter to discontinue this service. They used excuses like
    "It costs the society tons of money if you start a subscription, and the address is
    wrong or unclear or the person moves. They have to pay shipping OUT and shipping BACK
    to sender." I don't think that's totally honest. All they had to do was put "OR CURRENT
    RESIDENT" on them to avoid them being returned.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

They used excuses like
    "It costs the society tons of money if you start a subscription, and the address is
    wrong or unclear or the person moves. They have to pay shipping OUT and shipping BACK
    to sender." I don't think that's totally honest. All they had to do was put "OR CURRENT
    RESIDENT" on them to avoid them being returned.

Actually, they were being truthful. Years ago, I worked for the US Postal Service in the CFS unit (Central Forwarding Services). Watchtowers and Awakes were such a problem, they had a dedicated dumpster. Hundreds of magazine were disposed of weekly. Additionally, the WTBTS address was posted on the wall so that we wouldn't have to look it up; in fact, it was the ONLY publishing company address posted on the wall. Once a week, we would send a list of changed addresses back to the Society; there was a significant per-address charge for the service. That is what the term "Forwarding Services Requested" means.

The Society paid postage to send the magazine and for the address change. The post office destroyed the magazines after sending the new address back to the Society.

Interestingly, I knew most of the changed addresses; they were active JWs, some of them prominent elders, NOT interested persons who had moved and didn't send an update to the Society.

Justitia

• kifoy
    kifoy

"Once upon a time, the Watchtower and Awake each used to be mailed to homes."

Of course! Now I remember.

I just couldn't fit the English word with anything I remembered form the JW life in my own language :-)

And it is quite a long time since I had those subscription forms in my FS bag.
    Thanks for the reminder.

kifoy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit