Wine drinkers

by golf2 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• restrangled
    restrangled

I am a red wine drinker and can't stand anything else. No hard booze, beer etc. Although I do love a Margharita when I eat out at Mexican restaurants as long as I can't taste the booze.

My favorite Cabernet is Fetzer which has been on sale the last month at our local booze store at $5.00 off each bottle.....I'm getting spoiled! Other than that I do like Woodbridge's version.

Merlot seems too strong.

"How much do I drink?" ......I'll never admit to that but would probably be considered a wino......after I add it into most sauces and gravies I cook! You would have to ask the recycling guys!....please dont't!

I had a glass of wine in Minneapolis once that someone else paid for. It was $40.00 a glass from some private winery in California and very limited. It was a Merlot. It was like velvet.....the name included Duck Inn or something like that. Nothing has ever compared....and honestly, I wouldn't want to get use to that level because everything else would stink and I couldn't afford it.

I would love to start a wine cellar, but it seems too daunting.

r.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Sticking to the whites for now...

If you like the Chardonnay, golf2, you way want to go for a Pinot Grigio next.

Some wine snobs malign it, but you can find some decent ones at a moderate price.

Sauvignon Blanc is another option.

If you want something just a bit sweeter, go for a Gewurtzraminer, a Johannisburg Riesling, or a true German Riesling.

These latter wines are nice with spicy foods, like Thai or Indian cuisine.

• flipper
    flipper

Mrs. Flipper and I drink wine almost every day. We enjoy Chardonnay. Smoking Loon is a good brand. BV Coastal , here in California, and Toasted Head, another good Chardonnay. Don't drink as much beer as I used to , but I still drink Corona with a lime, Moosehead, and Heineken occasionally. I can't stand American beer for some reason. Foreign just tastes better

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Here's my bit.

With steak, chicken or other hearty meats or for general consumption I prefer a red. I've developed a fondness for Australian Merlot, Shiraz and Cabernet. Though my favorite is "Nuevo Mundo" Cabernet Malbec from Chili.

With fish and other light meals I like white wines. A good Gewürztraminer with German Brats and mustard cheddar fondue pretty well guarantees a food-gasm.

• golf2
    golf2

Nvrgbk, many thanks for the suggestions.

Golf

• BrentR
    BrentR

I do like brewing and drinking mead. We have alot of blackberries, wild pear and apple trees on our place so that is what I use mostly. Wild sour apple mead is by far my favorite and I bottle it before the ferment is completely done to get a little sparkle out of it.

Mead is much easier to make then wine and it benefits from erratic temperatures during aging vs wine which requires a constant controlled temp. I get all the honey I need for free from a friend that has bee hives.

We also grow rhubarb so I use that and wild apples sometimes. You get a little sweet and sour action going on.

Are there any other mead drinkers here? Most stores do not even carry it and alot of people do not even know what it is. Everyone that has tried mine has completely loved it.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Outaservice:

In business I've had wine that costs $300.00 per bottle and I've also had wine that was $3.00 a bottle. I couldn't really tell the difference.

Count your blessings. Wish I had that "problem". I'd probably be able to afford to retire by now.

Open Mind

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am a Cabernet drinker. There are a lot of good wines in the $12 - $20. I never go below $10 and only on special occasions do I buy a wine over $20.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly
    Are there any other mead drinkers here? Most stores do not even carry it and alot of people do not even know what it is. Everyone that has tried mine has completely loved it.

Brent, I'm a homebrewer and have also branched into Meads a little. I would by no means consider myself a master of the art. I have however brewed a couple of batches of a Ginger Metheglin using Fireweed Honey. Most of the local 'postates can vouch for it.

I'm not really a fan of the few commercial examples I have been able to find. the "dry" is too dry for my tastes and the "sweet" is too sweet. My own works out to a semi-sweet with a nice ginger afterburn to it.

Maybe we should start a Mead Geek thread?

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Brent, I had not noticed the benefits of varying temps during aging. I've only done a few batches of Mead, so I haven't had the pleasure of observing this extensively.

I'll go start us a Mead Geek thread so we can talk recipes, procedure, etc without pissing off the winos wine aficianados

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit