Star Fallen from Heaven ... Christ? Revelation 9:1 Study this Week

by jgnat 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

JCanon's contribution deserves no comment. Sarah, that illustration is not from the Witnesses, but it's the closest I could find on short notice to the book's full-color version. Indeed, the WT's color version is even wierder. The illustration is derived from this bible description:

Rev 9:7 - 11 KJV And the shapes of the locusts [were] like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads [were] as it were crowns like gold, and their faces [were] as the faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as [the teeth] of lions. And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings [was] as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle. And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power [was] to hurt men five months.

Which explains why some scholars speculate that John was on some good stuff when he had this vision.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Outofthebox, I have no idea how you managed to keep a straight face through this study. Bravo, bravo.

SirNose: And it's also funny how they have to work around the locusts coming from a smoking abyss...

Surely the Watchtower "scholars" remember other times that Jehovah used "ungodly" punishers to get his people in line. The Assyrians and Romans come to mind. Does the society really want to be associated with that fine company? My guess is that Rutherford just couldn't help grabbing this dynamic illustration to inspire his troops.

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Thanks JGnat! I have not looked at that verse for awhile, it did make it easier to read with this post!

I still do not think God's people will come out of the abyss!

• heathen
    heathen

Heck, it’s not complimentary to compare the great crowd of Witnesses, swarming from door to door with their message, as locusts. Locusts destroy all that is in their path. They are a dreaded plague on the earth.

If I remember correctly without looking it up again , the locust are told to not harm vegetation and they were allowed to harm men but not kill them . They were released to bring men to repentance , so makes sense that it is jesus and his church , to me . It can't be demonic since the purpose of the locust is to save men not kill them .

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Heathren, interesting concept! I'll look it up and study it closer!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ha, ha, ha. Hubby came home all excited about the illustration, talking about "stinging words" . You know, when you manage to really cut through someone's protests, they'll jump as if stung by a bee.

I ranted about Jesus' words, and if they weren't supposed to be a balm to the people, refreshing, like streams of living water? Were Jesus words meant to hurt people? If I were stung by a bee, I'd be sure to avoid all bees in the future.

I told hubby I would have loved to expounded on this illustration with the "brothers" and all it's implications.

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Cute! maybe you can go to the next book study wearing a locust pin and a bee in your bonnet!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit