WHAT WAS THE BEST EXPLAINATION DISHED TO YOU?

by enz 12 Replies latest jw friends

• enz
    enz

When you had questions about JW teachings - what was the craziest reason / answer you received?

When we "studied" the Revelation book (is it still used ) I asked my bookstudy conductor what he thought about the interpretations that pointed to conventions (early 1920s -getting a bit hazy on details thankfully) ..... He said ".... that was such a long time ago , I havent really thought much about it" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok - so if he didnt give anything "that long ago" any thought , did the same count for everything pre-1920 - i.e everything in the Bible ??? What did he think about ? How many attended the bookstudy that night? What tie he would wear on Sunday? I was speechless (hard for anyone who knows me now to imagine) . To sit there and watch people swallow this stuff hook, line and sinker while I couldnt fathom how 2 + 2 = 67 ( or 607 in some cases ) was a scary , weird , lonely place to be. Imagine a teacher or professor (not that I'm putting elders in the league of qualified teachers but thats another topic) responding like that to a student?

Another time I commented to my mother that it seemed to me that if the WBTS (aka the Wot-now Babel & Trick Society ) published that one of the beasts of Revelation was in fact a supermarket chain that the witnesses would believe them - (probably get excited about new light blah blah blah ) . She had no answer ( I am sure she hoped for a Special Pioneer / Bethelite daughter but got me !)

To be out and be honest - to be able to breathe - thats freedom! (the truth has set me free ) E

• Honesty
    Honesty

I asked one of the udder bruthers why did the "Faithful Slave" need to use satan's library at the UN.

His answer, after 4 days of silence after asking who else did I tell:

The Society is preparing a Watchtower Study article on this subject, so it would be better to wait on Jehovah.

That was almost 3 years ago.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Several years ago, a sister came over to study with me...(she didn't know I was DF'd ) I would question everything, usually with a simple "why's that?" "or "are you serious?" Sometimes, I'd ask well thought out questions...... and actually wait for her to answer, even leaning forward in my seat, ....waiting for her answer.

Finally she said, . "when you trust someone, you don't have to questions everything they do"

Me" what? Are you serious?" *I lean forward to await her answer.....

She said...."do you trust your husband? Me:'Yes'. Her..."do you question everything he does?" me: 'yes'.

sister:"but if you trust him, why do you question him" Me: "cause he's a man and he makes mistakes, and I think differently then he does, and have valid points to make"

She say..." the bible is written by god, he does not make mistakes" I said.."no, the bible was written by men."

she gives up....

lisa

• changeling
    changeling

FYI: they are currently studying the Revelation book (revised edition) at the Book Study.

I remember asking my mom what would happen to a "perfect" person if he fell off a cliff. She told me a perfect person would not be dumb enough to fall off a cliff.

I was 6 when she told me this and it made no sense to me. Still doesn't.

changeling

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

most of it makes no sense. But the worst answer is "wait on Jehovah." If you didn't then you were "running ahead of Jehovah" no matter how asinine the subject was. Asinine - are there nine asses on the GB? I forget how many there are.

• veen
    veen

When studying 'The Creation Book', "If an eyeball is too complicated to develop over billions of years without a designer, how do you suggest god exists, given that he's infinitely more complicated, and that he has no creator?" Nobody could even give a bull***t answer to that.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

WTBTS (aka the WhaT-now Babel & Trick Society ) LOL I like that one

• 4mylove
    4mylove

I asked my friend during our one and only ever argument why it had to be a "Governing Body". Why do God's followers have to be governed? Why does there have to be such order in everything "you all" do?

Response: "Without order there would be chaos. We have to have someone to hold us accountable for our actions"

I then asked, " Shouldn't that person be God? Can't you distinguish right from wrong and be ashamed unto God not some guys in New York?"

Crickets were heard in the background....

• greendawn
    greendawn

"When things don't work out in the org as one would expect we must always have in mind that God works in mysterious ways."

They try to say that we don't know where things are leading to they could lead to something good even if they seem to be going in the wrong direction.

It's a catch all excuse I would say.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    To be out and be honest - to be able to breathe - thats freedom! (the truth has set me free ) E

I think that is the best feeling in the world. It is so good to not fell ashamed of being who we are. Cults are experts at making you feel bad about your thoughts and your personality to be able to make you become a clone that obeys with out question.

Now to answer your question, the "best" explanation I got was on the same line as 4

I then asked, " Shouldn't that person be God? Can't you distinguish right from wrong and be ashamed unto God not some guys in New York?"

Except they said to me that "I can't trust my heart" and then I asked how can I trust the hearts of perfect strangers? No answer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit