My Belief in a Higher Power But Not in any Organized Religion

by flipper 21 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Hello folks. I feel I've been out of the witness organization long enough to have developed some pretty good idea of what my beliefs are now in regards to a higher power and organized religion that I felt comfortable to share it with you , my friends here on JWD. I respect you all have your takes, religious and non- religious, but just wanted to share a little of myself with you folks , wondering if any of you have felt what I feel. This way you'll get to know Mr. Flipper a little better and I'm interested in all your thoughts too.

First of all , in regards to a higher power , I do have a belief in something up there above that is causing the seasons to change , sun to shine, planets to orbit in the universe, rain to make vegetation grow , and generally make this earth a planet in which we can breathe , live and choose to enjoy life. Whether I call him or it, God, the great spirit, like the native americans did , I feel something is watching over us. But I feel it seems he or this power just lets us work out our situations in life , and it's up to us what you or I will make of our life. He or it does not control our life, or will not save us from ourselves or bad decisions, but the flip side to that is we get to relish and be happy with our good decisions in life ourselves. In regards to good and bad , I tend to lean toward the Buddhist view only in the expression , " What goes around comes around ". In other words if you treat people bad, eventually it will come back on you. May take awhile , but bad Karma will get ya. And the opposite is true. If you do good to others , in time those good things you do will eventually bring good things to you. Not always perhaps, but generally speaking.

Also, personally I do not believe in any organized religion . The reason I feel that way, of course as you can imagine is being messed over by the unjust Witness religion , but for me it goes much deeper than that. The problem I see with all organized religions is each one thinks they have the right way of life and recommend that to others. Each has a set of beliefs in which they expect their members to adhere to and control these members thinking. So if one member wants to say, " think outside the box " or belief , they are looked at as a threat or danger to the others belief system. In other words, it appears there is no room for compromise. The reason I can't think that way is I feel in life we are faced with many situations in life , that , depending on the time, circumstances, and other variables could be handled in various different ways for your own or someone's benefit. But with most religions, a view is either black or white. Right or wrong. I feel there are many gray areas in life that come into play, that demand us to use our thinking ability to reason on , not just printed rules put out by a church to tell us which way to go. I feel if a person needs a religion with other people in it, to comfort them, and identify with, then that's great , for them . But I also feel God or the great spirit, higher power or whatever will help your life just as much, if you look to this source one on one, in a personal way as many have. I guess I have just seen too many alledgedly "religious " people in my life feel they are a notch higher than non-religious people, because they believe in " God ". At times one of the first things they will be sure to tell you, " Oh, we're christians ! We go to such and such church. " Then I say, " Hi, I'm Mr. Flipper, I don't go to church, but ya know, I get just as much happiness out of life as you do ! " I'm being tongue in cheek here, I don't say that, but have felt like saying it before. Anyway I respect ya all and your takes, my wife and myself are very happy with what life is giving us. So , how do you guys feel about the higher power issue and organized religion ? Feel free to express yourself either way. All replies will be answered. Does anybody feel like I do? Or, if not express that too. Should be interesting ! Peace to all of you, Mr. Flipper

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Peace back at you both!

• journey-on
    journey-on

Thanks for sharing this. I, too, am turned off by organized religion. I think, actually, it hinders your personal spiritual

growth rather than helping. But, that's just me. Someone else will probably think just the opposite. Life is a wonderful

journey. There's always something new to discover in yourself.

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

Mr flipper I'm in a wierd place where I feel totally connected to whatever divine force there is but I also feel completely adrift. I have a sense of knowing a secret but I can't fully see it , express it, understand it or even be certain I know anything .I FEEL something profound and wonderful yet I feel nothing at all , sometimes I think I'm on the cusp of uderstanding and other moments I feel as if I'll go insane if I can't get relief from the need for understanding. Perhaps it is supreme arrogance that convinces us we are important enough to deserve a diety or divine creator or god pr maybe its a primitive survival instinct. Whatever it is it is as real as anything else in our heads , as real as love or hate or remorse or joy, we can't prove emotions are real anymore than we can prove our own personal God is real , but to each of us they are as real as real is . I love being alive and I cant wait till this life is done so my questions will be answered.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's not surprising that an abusive cult like the JWs can put people off organised religion for life, it involves too much manipulation and emotional disorientation.

I don't mind mainstream religions that let people find their own level and don't seek to rigorously control their lives but even so I don't get involved much in religious organisations at present.

The true religious organisation will be set up when the Divine Kingdom begins to assume power on this earth and gradually impose it's agenda on the nations, not before then.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Thanks for sharing Mr Flipper.

Just to let you know there are some churches out there which allow you to think outside of the box - mine does - I suppose we could call it semi-organised!!

It's a breath of fresh air compared with the RC church where I was before.

" Oh, we're christians ! We go to such and such church. " Then I say, " Hi, I'm Mr. Flipper, I don't go to church, but ya know, I get just as much happiness out of life as you do ! " I'm being tongue in cheek here, I don't say that, but have felt like saying it before.

LOL - I'd just come right out and say it if they were being smug about it!! If they got offended just tell 'em you're teaching them some Christian humility

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Organized (Christian) religion is a way to attract those needing the basics taught to them to have that opportunity:

15It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains.[c] 18But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. – Philippians 1:15-18

2I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. - 1 Corinthians 3:2

12In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! – Hebrews 5:12

When (if?) you’re ready to be taught by God, then you have progressed beyond the basics (riddled with teachings of men), on to being taught by God.

How?

Pray, in Faith for His Holy Spirit to fill you first thing in the morning. Again, pray in all faith and sincerity, then read His Word, having faith it is His Word, and He will instruct you in its meaning. You must do this daily, as each day is like a life unto itself.

If you do so, you will not only be taught by Him, but you will grow ever closer and more faithful, and will find it impossible to grieve the Holy Spirit, but, instead, you will live according to the Holy Spirit:

“So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
    The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.” -Galatians 5:16-26

BA- That is what I think of Organized Religion, and what “growing in the Christ” means to me.

P.S.= "What comes around, goes around" is a universal truth, taiught by nearly every branch of wisdom, to wit: Do not be misled. God is not one to be mocked. For what a man is sowing, this he shall also reap" -Galatians 6:7

• JK666
    JK666

I am personally repulsed by organi$ed religion. If it works for others, that's fine. But it is not my cup of tea. The JW's taught me from infancy to hate other religions, and then later taught me to hate them.

My personal thoughts so closely align with Mr. Flipper's, that I could have written that post. Amen.

JK

• golf2
    golf2

I've come to believe in a Creator since youth. No one had to instill me that there is a Creator, and I'm a firm believer in time. With out doubt, what goes around, does come around.

When it comes to the beliefs of others, I stay out of it. The scripture in Romans 2:21-23 makes simple sense. "...do you however the one teaching someone else, not teach yourself? You, the one preaching "Do not steal," do you steal? Etc.

Golf

• return visitor
    return visitor

I agree with you Mr. Flipper with regard to religion. However, I am finding it harder and harder to believe in god. I don't see the need for a god, except that the universe had a begining.

But that leaves me with the "which came first, the chicken or the egg" dilema. If the begining of the universe means that their must be a god that started it, then how did god get his start? See my quandry?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit