what makes a cult a cult?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 15 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Inspired by recent events here on jwd

What makes a cult a cult and whose definition matters most?

From a google search:

Definitions of cult on the Web:

• adherents of an exclusive system of religious beliefs and practices
    • fad: an interest followed with exaggerated zeal; "he always follows the latest fads"; "it was all the rage that season"
    • a system of religious beliefs and rituals; "devoted to the cultus of the Blessed Virgin"
      wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
    • In religion and sociology, a cult is a group of people (often a new religious movement) devoted to beliefs and goals which may be contradictory to those held by the majority of society. Its marginal status may come about either due to its novel belief system or due to idiosyncratic practices that cause the surrounding culture to regard it as far outside the mainstream.
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult
    • In traditional usage, the cult of a religion, quite apart from its sacred writings ("scriptures"), its theology or myths, or the personal faith of its believers, is the totality of external religious practice and observance, the neglect of which is the definition of impiety. Cult is literally the "care" owed to the god and the shrine. ...
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_(religion)
    • A religious group that follows a particular theological system. In the context of Christianity, and in particular, CARM, it is a group that uses the Bible but distorts the doctrines that affect salvation sufficiently to cause salvation to be unattainable. A few examples of cults are Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Science, Christadelphians, Unity, Religious Science, The Way International, and the Moonies. (See also Cults)
      www.carm.org/dictionary/dic_c-d.htm
    • (cult) (kult) a system of treating disease based on some special and unscientific theory of disease causation.
      www.merckmedicus.com/pp/us/hcp/thcp_dorlands_content.jsp
    • Veneration ( or honoring ) of a saint expressed in public acts, local or universal, and formally approved by the Pope.
      www.ichrusa.com/saintsalive/glossary.htm
    • A religious group which denies the essential doctrines of Christianity. The term is usually reserved for groups founded after 1750.
      www.dtl.org/trinity/misc/glossary.htm
    • A following of people.
      www.britishcouncil.org/ukinfocus-music-glossary.htm
    • (noun) often attributive [French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL]; First appeared 1617 1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP 2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents 3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents 4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health ~s> 5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object ...
      www.contecult.com/glossary.htm
  • BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

btt

Let me rephrase this.

What do you believe makes a cult a cult?

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

CONTROL!

-BONEZZ

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I'd have to agree on the control issue.

Control of the members in order to make them nothing more than slaves scared of damnation if they don't obey their leaders...

Slaves that either work to make the leaders rich - or else just to give the leaders a power trip.

AO

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hmmm

Control - yes.

But to open this up a little, I think the control can be from one or two sources.

Thinking of 'cult' in the wider term, the control could be from:

a) the organisation/founder itself, through manipulation and threats.

b) Oneself - it is possible to impose a set of beliefs and practices (religious, following a pop star or other hero, team etc) on yourself. I would say possibly this might be what some term blind faith - belief without any reason or testing - not to be confused with a living faith where beliefs are drawn from study, testing, reason and experience.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

One of the key areas is what is the official response for those who choose to leave.

Circling wagons, covering up, spying on ex-members, etc. == cult behavior. Leave people the hell alone.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Definitions of "cult" seem too broad.
    I stick with the definition of "mind-control cult."

A mind control cult uses deceptive recruiting techniques and coercive retainment practices.

Steve Hassan's website likes to differential DESTRUCTIVE cults from benign cults:

http://www.freedomofmind.com/resourcecenter/faq/#2

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

There is a difference between the definition of the WORD cult, and what a cult is in practical terms - in reality. What are we talking about when we say cult. It seems, like any other subject, the two people communicating with one another have to come to terms on the subject before they can talk about it. Otherwise, each person will be imagining something different when they say "cult." I find Lifton's 8 criteria to be the best description of cult as it pertains to JWs and other similar groups.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

There is a difference between the definition of the WORD cult, and what a cult is in practical terms - in reality. What are we talking about when we say cult. It seems, like any other subject, the two people communicating with one another have to come to terms on the subject before they can talk about it. Otherwise, each person will be imagining something different when they say "cult." I find Lifton's 8 criteria to be the best description of cult as it pertains to JWs and other similar groups.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    What are we talking about when we say cult. It seems, like any other subject, the two people communicating with one another have to come to terms on the subject before they can talk about it. Otherwise, each person will be imagining something different when they say "cult."

Exactly.

What exactly can we come to terms on? What can we agree on? So far control seems to be a big issue, but as Emo pointed out that can come from two sources.

Further, if control is the biggest issue, we can find controlling situations all over the place.

Steve Hassan's link has been offered up, now I've read from other sources (don't ask me where it's been a while) that he is not the most reliable.

Also, what is Lifton's 8 criteria?

(making dinner otherwise I'd google)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit