They came to my door this morning

by knock knock 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• knock knock
    knock knock

I started not to answer but opened the door anyway. Nice enough people and so full of compliments. "It's such a nice quiet area you live in. Blah, blah, blah." Of course it quickly turned to religious talk and many of my comments garnered comebacks such as "We don't often meet people that think so deeply about things." Meanwhile I'm thinking "I sure could use some more of that potted meat."

I actually did mention that I had been brought up as a Jehovah's Witness. It got a little more serious then. The compliments still came often enough but also warnings of the dire consequences that await me for turning away from their message. "What if you're wrong?" the one guy asked. Why do they always play up the FEAR? Then came the inevitable suggestion that he stop back by to discuss things further. I quickly declined that offer.

That was when those really odd feelings showed up. I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about. You kind of start shaking and feel like you're being tracked, hunted or worse...recruited! AHHHHHHHHHHHH. But in the end they left after I had been warned again that if I didn't do things their way I'd burn in HELL forevvvvvvvvvverrrrrrrrrrr heated by fire & brimstone. All eternity and then some. You'd think propane might be a little more efficient. Damn those Baptists!

So there you have it. I'm doomed. Like I didn't already know that! lol
    I did learn from this conversation that one of my neighbors a few houses down is an EXJW and attends these peoples church. We'll see what happens but I bet that neighbor comes around to introduce himself soon.

I suppose I should brush up on the HELL brush off logic though. Anybody know where I could find some light reading on the subject?

• bebu
    bebu
    I'd burn in HELL forevvvvvvvvvverrrrrrrrrrr heated by fire & brimstone.

Are you sure these were JWs?? JWs don't believe in hell at all. Or did you get Baptists trying to get you back to being a Baptist? I've never heard of such way of talking from Baptists, though.

bebu

• knock knock
    knock knock

Sorry bebu, I was just trying to be funny.

They were definitely baptists. They even had it embroidered on their shirts. And yes, absolutely it was fire & brimstone forever and ever hell. amen. I couldn't help but laugh a little all the way through this 'cause now it's pretty easy to spot lame attempts to "win you over" no matter where they come from. I've been praised by HareKrishna's, Jehovah's Witnesses, Telemarketers and now even Baptists. lol They ALL want something from you.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Here in NC we occasionally get some of the local churches coming around to get converts. I am always nice to them and we have a discussion of some sort. JW have me marked here because I fooled a sister for 2 years who used to come by to visit and place current literature with me. Her Elder husband was not amused when they discovered I was an apostate thanks to my ex-husband. LOL I love it though and she was such a sweet scared woman who need liberating from her false beliefs.

Ruth

• bebu
    bebu

Sorry knock knock! Now I see what you meant in your first post.

Where are you from? Must be down south, where I've never been. It sounds like a whole different planet down there, and everyone is on the streets (or maybe just targeting YOU). You might need to get a "no soliciting" sign so you can sleep in!

bebu

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

Let the neighbors come around, then you can talk the real truth to them.

LINDA

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

A fat and lovely, older set of black JW 'sisters' came to the door at my place of work about two weeks ago, during some very stressful days there.

I wondered if they - (or someone else, who might have sent them my way) - noticed my "Stop Watchtower Abuse" bumper sticker on the car parked directly across the street.

I quickly and politely told them,"No thank you, I don't have time. I'm at work right now," and shut the door as they said,"Oh. I understand." Clik. Clik.

Simple, clean, easy. No confrontation. No buckets of mop water on their heads. No discussion. No argumentation. No yelling. No door-slamming. None of the drama I envision.

Of course, if they came to my own "marked" place of residence, I'm not sure I would not have engaged them with a quick discussion of JW U.N. involvement or asked them about their opinion of the pedophile coverup and recent settlements and gag orders. My work place is not the place for any of that.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote
    . . . it's pretty easy to spot lame attempts to "win you over" no matter where they come from. I've been praised by HareKrishna's, Jehovah's Witnesses, Telemarketers and now even Baptists. lol They ALL want something from you.

So true. I will never forget a dear friend's discussion about the Baptist minister down the road who left a flier at our door one day.

My friend contacted the preacher and asked him if he'd left this at our door. Yes, and he's praying for us.

My Jewish atheist friend kindly said, "Don't pray for me. The devil might hear you and then he'll really screw up my day. He just didn't get what I was saying."

• greendawn
    greendawn

The JWs are not the only ones that go door to door some other Protestant groups also do that and I get them from time to time but I just say I am not interested to get rid of them.

There are good mainsteram well established religions so why bother with marginal recently started groups that like the JWs will have nothing to offer by way of culture or social life and may also be outright cultic and heretical eg the Mormons.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

they are all the same, baptists, evangelicals, jws, whatever. they use the same tactics and are equally fanatical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit