Catholics

by BlackSwan of Memphis 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Soledad
    Soledad

Several years ago I also went to RCIA. I found the process very enlightening,the Catholic traditions and culture are very nice and I often pray the rosary. But I stopped short of getting baptized. What for? I reasoned. This is strictly between me and God, I don't have to show the church anything. Today I still on occasion attend mass and look for Catholic charities to volunteer my time and donate goods. The church is not at all perfect, far from it, but I find the atmosphere welcoming and comforting, and that alone puts to rest the initial fear I had of going into a building where allegedly demons would attack me!

I loved visiting the old cathedral in Cuzco this year. Would you believe that mass is held in Quechua? I was amazed by that.

I'm going to church right now. I need to whiff some candles.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I was a cradle catholic who converted to JWism who reverted back to Catholicism who is now pretty close to being atheist.

And that was the hugest biggest greatest double-whammy I gave my JW sister. How can I go back to Catholicism knowing what I know given to me via the Watchtower Society?

The society detests Catholicism most of all because they are trying to replace it.

• NanaR
    NanaR
    Thank You, for sharing this Ruth, I appreciate it. Keep me posted on your RCIA btw. Ok?

You're welcome, BSOM :-) And yes, I will keep you posted. Pax, Ruth

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

In my church, this year there are 27 adults in RCIA that will be baptized, thats pretty good, back when I took my RCIA there were only 6 of us.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I was born to Roman Catholic parents and baptized Catholic, and made my first communion when I was about 6. Shortly after that, my mother became a JW and I was immersed in JWism until I left about 3 years ago.

When I left, it was because of the false teachings of the WT. I desperately wanted to find out what God wanted from me, and I returned to the Catholic church for a time. I attended mass, communion, even went to confession. I loved the Mass, it was beautiful and I really felt at home there.

But as I looked into the Catholic teachings more deeply, there were many things that really bothered me. While no one is judged (outwardly) in the Church, the judgement is there all the same. The list of mortal sins is long (sins which one will go to hell if no absolution is received before one dies). For example, it's a mortal sin to miss Sunday Mass for no good reason, or to use any contreception when having sex. Anyone not deemed a saint upon death will go to Purgatory, where they will suffer torment until the sin is tormented out of them. Only then can they enter heaven, and God's presence.

The Catholic church uses tradition as well as the Bible to arrive at their teachings. In other words, something need not be in the Bible to be taught as truth by the Catholics. They believe that they have, as a church, decended directly from the apostles, and thus their traditions count.

I could go on, but it's not my intention to bash the Catholics. Quite honestly, I enjoy their form of worship. I just can't deal with never feeling like I'm good enough, like I should be constantly striving for sainthood to be good enough for God. Just thinking about it makes me feel sick to the very core of my being.

GGG

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Hi Mouthy,

I am not a catholic sometimes I'm not anything .At this present time it depends on my mood but I'm definately not a JW. I haven't had the the horrible experiences that you have had to endure but I can sympathise with you and understand where you are coming from.

You know I am sure that there are people in this world who have been lifted up to walk on mountains through help from the catholic church and maybe if you had been in a different place at a different time you might just hold opposite views .Obviously all of us can only relate to the events that we have seen for ourselves and there is no way I can blame you for thinking as you do, and I would not even consider doing so.

I have known what I would call good catholics and bad catholics.As the saying goes, by their fruits you will know them.I have been to three catholic funeral services' for relatives and at one of them I did not like the comments from the priest the others services I thought were brilliant.The bottom line is how much love to their fellow man does a person show ,that is what really counts.

There is a man called Lord Charles Brocket he wrote a book about his life called " call me charlie" He is a member of the British aristocracy and he was sent to prison for attempting an insurance scam which he did not go through with, never the less they hammered him with a lenghty sentence to set an example.He had served as an officer in the British Army in Northern Ireland and Cyprus.Cutting a long story short while he was in prison he went to the catholic priest for advice not because he was catholic but because he found that catholic priests were the most effective in dealing with problems while he was in the army .The priest gave him some sound advice.So there we see another side of the coin as it were. The book by the way is a damn good read.

Edmond.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    As to why their is hostility toward catholics, it happens anywhere you go, and has since the reformation, you get used to it after a while :)

Hm, I imagine you do.

I may never join another religion again. I think at best they are stepping stones to a full personal relationship with God like Enoch had and Noah and Moses, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and Jesus had.
    You dont need a church to have that. You dont need a building or a body of elders or a book bag or time slip, or a rosary or incense or prayer rug. All that is required is a mind and heart filled with deep respect for the creator's will which is clearly discerned by observing his beautiful creation.

I tend to think that many here feel the same way. Those who still believe in something, be it the God of the Bible or Dana, one doesn't need a church to feel close to God.

Several years ago I also went to RCIA. I found the process very enlightening,the Catholic traditions and culture are very nice and I often pray the rosary. But I stopped short of getting baptized. What for? I reasoned. This is strictly between me and God, I don't have to show the church anything. Today I still on occasion attend mass and look for Catholic charities to volunteer my time and donate goods. The church is not at all perfect, far from it, but I find the atmosphere welcoming and comforting, and that alone puts to rest the initial fear I had of going into a building where allegedly demons would attack me!

The traditions are beautiful to me as well.

If you read this, out of curiosity, why do you look for Catholic charities? I'm just curious.

The society detests Catholicism most of all because they are trying to replace it.

Bluesapphire, this statement right here blew me away. Because you know, that makes perfect sense.

You're welcome, BSOM :-) And yes, I will keep you posted. Pax, Ruth

Ok, I know I should probably just google this...but what is Pax? And Thanks Ruth :-) (btw thank you for being such a wonderful person to me)

In my church, this year there are 27 adults in RCIA that will be baptized, thats pretty good, back when I took my RCIA there were only 6 of us.

Andre, HA! So much for Christendom's waters drying up eh?

Quite honestly, I enjoy their form of worship. I just can't deal with never feeling like I'm good enough, like I should be constantly striving for sainthood to be good enough for God. Just thinking about it makes me feel sick to the very core of my being.

GGG, I have heard this from other Catholics. I think they like their faith, in terms of the beauty of the traditions and the worship, but I often get a sense of they feel so inadequate and like they're never going to be good enough for heaven. Mouthy, I have not known what to say in response to you. I think that Edmond has made some interesting, valid points. I guess I would only add that I can't dispute anything you have said in this thread and I won't at all try to minimize it. You have, like others here, given me a lot to think about. One thing being, like others who look at exjw's and think they're bitter twats who just want to stir up trouble etc etc.....they have never walked in the shoes of an exjw. And many of us have never walked in the shoes of an ex Catholic. It's easy for me to tell you to Stop It. But I haven't lived the lives of people who have lived and walked the Catholic faith. And I'm sorry for getting on you and others that I simply don't know and understand.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

These experiences that people have shared are awesome because they are showing the various faces of Catholicism, at it's best and worst. We have all had to take a different route and path. And for some it has been the Catholic Church. They have found peace and serenity and a closeness with God. I don't want others to judge me for my path and I really don't have the right to judge them. Nor do I have the right to judge those who I don't understand. I'm Not saying that I think it's ok to belittle the beliefs and traditions of the Catholics, only that this has helped me recognize that I need to step back and remind myself that more often than not, I don't know the whole picture when something gets said. you would think by now I would have that figured out a bit better.

• NanaR
    NanaR
    Ok, I know I should probably just google this...but what is Pax? And Thanks Ruth :-) (btw thank you for being such a wonderful person to me)

BSOM, Pax is Latin for peace. In the Church it is the "kiss of peace" or greeting of peace, from the part of the Mass where the Priest says "Let us offer each other the sign of peace". And you're very welcome. Ruth

• Soledad
    Soledad
    If you read this, out of curiosity, why do you look for Catholic charities? I'm just curious.

It's one of many among my list. That doesn't mean I exclusively do just for them.

Holy crap! HA! When was the last time that anyone saw 27 adults being baptized at a circuit assembly? That just proves what a liar the WTS is!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit