Catholics

by BlackSwan of Memphis 41 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

All religion sucks!

It's time to cast off the Oppressor.

• JK666
    JK666

My only imput in this discussion is that my ex-wife was a Catholic, and converted to JW. She was the most screwed up biotch that I ever knew.

JK

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Emo, I honestly hope I didn't offend you with anything I might have said...I love you babe!!!

Mouthy, .

• BFD
    BFD

Sorry for mooning you, I'll go edit it after this post.

Hugs all around.

I don't know why Catholics get such a bad rap here. I can only guess from personal experience. My mom was as strict a Roman Catholic as she is a zealous JW. After my brother was DF'd and became a Roman Catholic it started a chain of events within my family that resulted in my mom taking the hard JW line on shunning. Now she shuns all but one of her children but my brother is the only Catholic.

Maybe it's a residual effect from once being JW that brings out some of the mockery in people. Just a guess.

BFD

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Greendawn, I think you're right. Religion is not just religion, it is culture and traditions. I know for me, the Church's traditions are beautiful. Some find it so distasteful, to me, though. The Mass was one of the most beautiful things I had ever attended. I remember how the priest read from the Psalms and the scriptures that were read and homily being about love. It was so foreign. Yes they read the bible at the Kingdom Hall. I know that. But it was different at the Church.

Mind you, I have yet to experience another Christian church.

<<shrugs>>

Religion just doesn't work for me.

Kudra,

Anyway,
    Yes, I was talking with a catholic friend the other day and she had a lot of insight into the protestant movement and how the celibate preist thing came about, and the corruption in the catholic church at the time, the "hatred" of mary-worship etc. etc.

I have learned a lot from my Catholic friends about religion. That is really not meant to take away from Protestants, it's just I've had more opportunity to talk to Catholics on a personal level than Protestants.

Seems like the protestants (and dubs) still harbor a lot of resentment about the practices of the catholic church. Is this something that the church does NOW that angers the protestants or is it a hold-over from reformation times??

I think that's what I'm trying to figure out. Why all the anger or just general hostility over something like the way Catholics petition Mary? That's their thing.

All religion sucks!

It's time to cast off the Oppressor.

Nvr, you make me smile ya know that?

My only imput in this discussion is that my ex-wife was a Catholic, and converted to JW. She was the most screwed up biotch that I ever knew.

Sorry for mooning you, I'll go edit it after this post.

Hey I've mooned my fair share of people, so I probably deserved this one huh?

I don't know why Catholics get such a bad rap here. I can only guess from personal experience. My mom was as strict a Roman Catholic as she is a zealous JW. After my brother was DF'd and became a Roman Catholic it started a chain of events within my family that resulted in my mom taking the hard JW line on shunning. Now she shuns all but one of her children but my brother is the only Catholic.

Maybe it's a residual effect from once being JW that brings out some of the mockery in people. Just a guess.

Isn't that interesting? I'm curious as to how he went from JW to Catholic. And yeah, you have a point. I wish it didn't though. We have so many exwitnesses who are Catholic who come round these parts, and you know, all of them have been so unbelievably kind to me. They've never judged me and have been the ones to help me see the other side of various social issues.

• BFD
    BFD
    Isn't that interesting? I'm curious as to how he went from JW to Catholic.

Yeah, me too. He went from JW, then joined the United States Marines, and came back Catholic. scratchhead

BFD

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Hmmm

Ya know everyone has a path to take right?

And your mum still doesn't talk to him? Sad, very very sad.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I went from being born into JW's (never baptized) but later I converted to Catholic, dispite a lot of hate towards the church, and all the bad press, its still the best thing that has ever happend to me. A lot of people on this board still feel the need to call Catholic's names, and act like the religion is the same as devil worshipping, but then what has a Catholic ever done to them? No Catholic in my family shuns anyone, they have only showed love and acceptance.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Ok the Catholics do have some bad history but that is the past what really matters is how they behave nowadays and they are much better behaved as a religion than cultic groups like the JWs. The JWs are among the authoritarian religions today whereas the Catholics were authoritarian in the past. They learnt their lesson, the JWs not yet.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Yes Roman Catholic, has a pretty long history, going back 2,000 years, sure there is going to be some bad things, after all just like any religion on the face of this earth, it is practiced by man. OK now Jehovah Witness history, goes back?? and how much negative history is there? Any one here remember the Inquisitions? ok probably not, now anyone here remember 1975?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit