My wife is frightened about the end/ What to say without sounding Apostate?

by suavojr 37 Replies latest jw friends

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Yeah, tell her to not be scared. The early disciples couldn't WAIT for Jesus to return, it was something to look forward to, not fear, because if their love for him. And if you believe God's kingdom means good things for the earth, don't be scared, it's a positive thing.

• steve2
    steve2

Paradox is best: What's to fear if you've got the truth or you know where the truth can be found? "Go to it, Sweetcheeks!"

As I said to one of my JW uncles who challenged me to convince him the the organization was wrong (so he could report me to the elders for apostasy!):

"If you believe it's the truth, it makes sense for you to make a full commitment to it. Do everything to act consistent with your beliefs. It is not my place to stop you".

On the topic of your wifes verbalized fear, she probably does not need to be told just yet that fear is the most important nutrient that feeds and nourishes fundamentalism and motivates to action.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS has always acquired public support and attention by propagating fear and anxiety , right from its earliest appearance as a religious publishing house.

Jesus has returned and is looking to see who should be killed and who should die.

It was done conniveingly by the WTS. extrapolating interpretation from the bible as a means to support these assertions, to make for an appealing commercialization of the WTS's published literature.

Interesting as it is, Jesus stated that no one not even himself would know of the time of all of this to happen and even admonished anyone to procure a time on god's own sacred time.

The Watchtower Corporation seems to have not read that scripture or imply it to themselves. Ironically so called self described false religion by the WTS. within Christendom has not created a doctrine such as the WTS. in simularlity.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Ask her to read Matthew 24:21 - "for then there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again."

Then ask her this: Could the great tribulation be worse than what occurred at the flood in Noah's day? If so, then only seven people or less can survive the great tribulation - unless of course Jesus was lying or exaggerating!

She must then reason that Jesus was not, and could not, be thinking of catastrophes which befell mankind in general, but rather, he was speaking about tribulations which had affected the Jewish nation! As Jesus promised, the generation to whom he addressed those words, did not pass away before it experienced the worst tribulation in its history, in 66 - 70 C.E.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

As long as we foolishly and unquestionably believe that the infinitely wondrous expression of life and universe is due to a savage and brutal, tribal deity, there is going to be trouble. Deservedly so.

Go to the root of the problem, or prepare for a continual stream of shit hitting the fan.

• jonza
    jonza
    Maybe you could read this: Matthew 24:6 "See that you are not alarmed, for these things must take place, but the end is not yet.". Then maybe like others said, focus on how to be saved. (whether you believe it or not, it may help her)
  • undercover
    undercover

I thought dubs were supposed to be happy that the end was coming? Raise your heads erect and all that crap...

All those WT illustrations show the survivors of Armageddon smiling and happy, even though the world around them lies in ruin.

Is it that she's scared for you, because you're not adhering to WT teachings anymore? Or is she scared because she feels she isn't living up to standards?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

StarTrekAngel: Remind her Jehovah has promised us protection and that, if we believe what we read, we understand that the attack would happen on false worship, not on JWs, therefore there is nothing to fear. Make sure to drive that point home and then finish it with the second point. Which is, we don't want to be like those over zealous brothers of the 1970's, whom upon reading things like this, made drastic conclusions that the end was coming in 1975. But we know what happened to those brothers.

This is tactful and yet simple.

You could also tie in the thought from Zeph 2:3 - ...."probably you will be concealed in the day of His anger."

No worry. There is nothing WE can do. It is all in Jehovah's hands. To worry or be anxious is to show a lack of faith in Jehovah's ability to rescue His people.

Doc

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

They were saying exactly that, in the 1960s, when I was a boy.

Why not, whilst giving her a reasuring hug, say that you dont worry too much about that, as they have been saying the same thing for such a long time. maybe give an example from someone you know. Then tell her you will face whatever comes together..........then change the subject.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I dont mean to sound arrogant but I can tell you exactly what she wants to hear....

"Babe, dont sweat it. we're going to be fine. I got you."

The cult may be fanning the flames but in the end we all have moments of insecurity. Our wifes want us to be their rocks in times of trouble, same way we want them to tell us they still love us and believe in us when we screw up or feel inadequate.

Let her know its all good, come what may. Set the cult crap aside on this one unless she brings up the specifics in which case you can just leave it as 'we will deal with it when we get there. Until then were moving forward' (she dosent need to know forward is away from the cult)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit