Where does the human conscience come from?

by bluesapphire 23 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The French word conscience covers the semantic ranges of English "conscience," "consciousness" and "awareness". Maybe that's one reason why I tend to think all those notions are closely connected.

Between us and (other) animals -- the topic and the ensuing discussion on "social conditioning" is strongly reminiscent of Pavlov's dog, a famous case of human-educated animal "conscience" -- there is both continuity and difference. The major breakthrough, I feel, is human language (or symbolism),through which we have developed an unprecedented imaginary representation of "self," including continuity in time (memory and future projection). On the mirror of language we watch ourselves and judge ourselves as we speak and act. The endless splitting (the watcher watching the watcher watching, ad lib.) makes homo sapiens a self-conscious animal. Science is con-science, as soon as we can say "I". Moral conscience (including guilt or self-satisfaction) is just one aspect of that basic process imo.

• moshe
    moshe

Anyone who watched what happened in New Orleans in the Superdome after hurricane Katrina could see just how fast the human conscience reverted to the "strong eats the weak" mentality. We are fooling ourself to think we have become more moral. We don't have the wilderness to exile our nonconforming citizens, so they are exiled in prisons today. JW's shun us today, but they would just as soon get rid of us permanently, if they could get by with it. Conform to the clan or suffer the bitter consequences, that has been the rule of law for man since the beginning.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

A Zen Master might say, "Show me your conscience."

• worf
    worf

Hello Bluesapphire,

Your question about the human conscience is very interesting. Some information that you might find useful

is contained in "The Origin Of Consciousness In The Breakdown Of the Bicameral Mind" by Dr. Julian Jaynes.

You can find this book in any major bookstore like Barnes & Noble.

Worf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit