Google Earth

by Lloyd Braun 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Lloyd Braun
    Lloyd Braun

How many of you use Google Earth, and what do you think of it?

alt

• JK666
    JK666

I use it on occasion. It can be handy looking at aerial views of maps to see landmarks. I was going to an away soccer game, and I had no idea where the soccer field was, and located it with G.E.

JK

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I'll play around with it from time to time. I like looking at far off places like Kamchatka or at some of the strange features in the Sahara.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I use it to scope out hiking trails or if I am going somewhere that I am not fmiliar with. It's handy to use google maps and sat images together.

• startingover
    startingover

I have a GPS and I save my tracks when I ride my motorcycles both on and off road. Then I import them and overlay them on google earth. It's thrilling to me to see where I have ridden on a real picture of the landscape.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Today I discovered Sketchup....very very interesting tool.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

When North Korea had their mini-nuke test, I logged into the USGS website to check their earthquake monitoring and within an hour they posted the latlong coordinates of a "quake" in North Korea so I applied that into Google Earth and instantly had the image of the location of the test -- a half hour before CNN posted it on their "breaking news".

BTW, it is revealing to explore Pyongyang in Google Earth....quite a dreary place from all appearances.

I was also doing research once on Patagonia and sailors in the 19th-century who would either "Round the Horn" or go through the Magellan Strait in order to go into the Pacific. So I used Google Earth to simulate the journey and familiarized myself with the landmarks and islands and got some idea of what it was like, at least geographically.

I also used it to plan my vacation last year in Australia Outback by simulating the road trip. I got freaked out at the prospect of crossing 22 rivers in a single day....luckily it wasn't as bad as it appeared on the satellite image (I guess it was taken during the "wet").

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

I use Google Earth a few times a day, dozens of times each week. I find where I'm going, I do searches for businesses, I locate shooting ranges that aren't listed by seeing them from above...

In writing my vacation post, I used measure to see how far away the shore was from the dome I stayed in.

I am all over that.

RD

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Has anyone tried the new flight simulator feature in Google Earth? Awesome!!! (For those who haven't, hit CTRL-Shift-A and you will go into flight simulator mode. You have to have the latest version of Google Earth though).

• horrible life
    horrible life

Question;

I can look at my grandsons swing-set, in his back-yard, in Oklahoma City. But my whole small town is a blur. Why?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit