Comments You Will Not Hear at the Watchtower Study (RICH)

by WT Comments 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• greendawn
    greendawn

I find it irritating whenever the WTS moralises because it is so hypocritical coming from people that do not apply in their lives and the life of their corporation the advice they give.

In this case they try to dissuade the JWs from having goals of becoming rich in order to serve God which in fact in their case means to serve the WTS corporation.

It's much better for someone to serve his family interests and secure the future of his children rather than those of a half baked cult.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My comments this week:

As usual, the article bases everything on a snippet. What was the context for the scripture quoted? After giving the parable, Jesus provides further instructions on not worrying so much about where they will eat or sleep, but assures them that God will take care of all that. He concludes with Luke 12:30 and 31. Here are various translations of verse 31:

Luke 12:30-31

(KJV) For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things. But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you

(CEV) But put God's work first, and these things will be yours as well.

(DRB) But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his justice: and all these things shall be added unto you.

(RV) Howbeit seek ye his kingdom, and these things shall be added unto you

What does turning down a promotion or avoiding college have to do with putting the kingdom interests first? Couldn't we also see these opportunities as gifts from God?

Q10: Why is the possession of "many good things" no guarantee of having "many years"?

I'd like to turn this question around so it has greater relevance for the many "older ones" in the congregation who witnessed the 1975 hype, and now live with crooked teeth, estranged children, and no pension. "Why is the future hope no guarantee that our earthly years will be short?"

Para 12: Instead, we should use our resources in such a way as to enrich, or build up, our relationship with Jehovah.

...and what resources are those, praytell? Must they be financial? What if we rather give our minds and hearts towards God's things, and our actions naturally follow?

Q 13: ..blessed by him and enjoyed a way of life that was visibly superior to that of all the nations round about

Bait-and-switch. Instead of speaking of spiritual riches, as Jesus did, the society returns to materialism. Is that because as others have mentioned, Witnesses are the ultimate Materialists? Their focus, their prize is that rich paradise, rather than a relationship with Christ?

Also, returning to the "older ones" in the congregation? Are their lives "visibly superior" to those of their neighbours? I remember a sweet widow who was forgotten by her congregation. When we picked her up for the meeting, the paint of her home was peeling, and her lawn raggedly cut. Where were her sons? They were busy in the society's work, in other congregations. She is in a senior's residence now.

Q16, 17) What experiences can you relate to show the way of life that makes one rich in God's eyes?

There are also many, many stories of rich people who are also rich in generosity.

http://www.wealthandgiving.org/home.html

http://www.stewleonards.com/water_safety/home.cfm

http://www.chrisgardnermedia.com/

http://www.oprah.com/uyl/oan_landing.jhtml

http://laptop.media.mit.edu/

• blondie
    blondie

Compared to the JWs in 3rd world countries, jws in richer countries have no idea how little they have. An African jw told of a grass hut and plastic buckets to sit on. What jws in the US or Canada or Australia would accept such things. Until 2000, those jws had to pay full price for the publications so that was the first time that each family member had a personal copy of the publications.

The problem is that jws with more do not contribute more to the WTS or the congregation. Why does an MS have to pay the light bill every month; or the elder body be directed to pay the bills the local congregation fails to contribute for. Money for movies, video games, new vehicles, but not even $10 per family for the utilities.

Where is their faith in God to provide the basics?

What about accepting work in the trades which takes 4 to 5 years of schooling. Why is that different than going to the university?

Good for you too jgnat to point out how the WTS uses snippets to evade the true meaning of Christ's words.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks for the WT Comments. Great Job. Especially the aerial photos. Nice touch.

There are a hand full of JWs who have the best of all worlds. A secure financial future and the accolades of others for being "spiritual". In my area if a JW is a regular pioneer, then it's OK for them to also attend a university. But if they even slack off to "regular auxiliary" then the judgemental fangs start to be bared.

In the real world, how many people are able to pull this off? A tiny minority.

I recently heard a 3rd-hand rumor that the now-middle-aged son of a now-deceased Governing Body Member is attending Law Shool. [ Name rhymes with "Odor". ;-) ] Of course he's also regular pioneering at the same time so it's all good.

No one dares to say, "Hey, you could be putting in 120 hours a month if you weren't going to Law School!" Oh wait, I just did. Still trying to shake off a lifetime of dubbiness.

Open Mind

• bobld
    bobld

Good review.They FDS/GB are up to their old tricks.They think people forgot pre1975.Sell your house give all your money to the WBTS and go pioneer because the end is sooooooooooooooo near.Why did they use an example of someone going to Bethel? When the kicked over 60% of the poor old pre 1975 Behtelites out.Oh.I forgot they are costing them to much money for medical,food etc and their productive is low.We need young strong productive people to run a porfitable company.Like I said last week you sumbags who print this s#$^ go live in a tent in Africa w/o running water and use grass for asswipe.Notice their Ex. of the ice cream man (computer technician) they sure like those educated people for Bethel.shame shame shame fds'bg.

bob

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

So, you are told to give up a career slaving for a big corporation , and take up a career that is ....well er, slaving for another big corporation that does not even pay you !!!

Actually it is not unusual for executives and the like to give it up and do something that they find more rewarding . The Borg would like to think it only happens within themselves but it does not.

I liked your comment

"And how 'spiritual' is that reward? Claiming the local mansion as 'mine' in paradise. That's a physical reward. Various day dream fantasies like mastering the violin throughout eternity. That's a physical reward. A healthy young body. That's a physical reward. "

So true..Who is the materialist?

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

When you give the society your money for the world wide work fund, they in turn use it to settle child abuse cases. They do not give, they take. They are a publishing corporation and real estate moguls. They want for nothing, when in need they sell off your property that you gave for the www.fund. They should be able to squeeze millions more from the brothers and sisters, young and old this November when they pass the hat in their November crying act articles. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Blueblades

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Good job exposing WTS hypocrisy:
    Building massive expansion in Patterson which wasn't needed when massive buildings in Brooklyn existed.
    Now Brooklyn buildings aren't needed.

Excellent use of their article on propaganda- great reminder that the study article IS propaganda.

I love the summary of this article thru para. 15:
    Somehow we have made a wild ride to this point. Rich man with material focus-bad. God blesses faithful
    with riches-good. Rich people are show-offs-bad. Works make you rich-good.

Para. 16 is the best-
    Quit your glamorous job and you will make more money while you pioneer.

• V
    V

It just amazes me how a seemingly boring, said-it-all-before Watchtower study can be deconstructed like this. Thanks for all your comments!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit