Is it bad to be an agnostic?

by blueviceroy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

On a prior thrread someone asked about one true religion . I think that is kind of agnostic thinking . As i grow older and develop more perspective on life It seems that an agnostic view is really just an honest view no dogma no preconcieved ideas just observations. I cant help but think maybe our Creator designed us that way and all the bad ideas and intolerance and rules that groups devise to controll thier members really arent where we should be spending our lives . A good understanding of many points of view is nessssary to form an ACCURATE opinion or at least one that is not questionable or foolish . Mankind never succeded in anything because he had a narrow mind only free thinkers change things .For better or worse free thought and free choice is all we have that is tangible and real (real is what can be proven) faith is something I have a wierd relationship with .It exists but I cant prove it so therefore it is merely an opinion. Sometimes I think I feel the touch of the divine and other days I feel lost and alone . I think there is more to life than what we see but I dont know what it is. Is that anything different from anyone else feels? Does that make me as an agnostic a bad person because Im not comfortable believing all that I hear or that I have doubts about what Iv been taught? I believe we were created . I believe life has a purpose. I believe I will never find the ultimate truth and I'm ok with that . I believe Im glad I am alive and posting on this site.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

If you believe you were created, that would make you a theist. Agnostics think that there is no way to tell if we were created or not.

And no, it's not bad to be an agnostic. We have secret meetings and drink beer.

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

Well I guess there is no way of knowing that is logical .I guess I would have to say I like to think we were created but I dont really know. So believing we are ignorant makes agnostic? A belief that people dont have a clue .Yep that sounds about right

• greendawn
    greendawn

"Mankind never succeded in anything because he had a narrow mind only free thinkers change things."

How very true narrow mindedness and lack of imagination have kept mankind backward for millenia there is a resistance to progressive thinking in all ages.

Agnostics do not believe that science has gone as far as disproving the existence of God so they refuse to deny the possibility that a creator exists.

• freyd
    freyd

Only if you understand the definition of the word in latin.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

No it's not bad to be an agnostic.

You are exactly where you're meant to be on your journey - keep walking, keep seeking, don't be discouraged if 'God' seems absent.

"He is not far from any of us"

• bigwilly
    bigwilly
    And no, it's not bad to be an agnostic. We have secret meetings and drink beer

I comsider myself an "apathetic" with pagan interests. A little better than Para's group as weed could be included

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

nostic means knowing agnostic means not knowing I finaly looked for a proper definition and read a thing about Huxley I agree that an agnostic person is just thinking honestly,humbly and without pretention . Perhaps more honesty and humility arent such a bad thing

• Gopher
    Gopher

Blueviceroy, you raise a good question.

In today's America (and other countries where some form of religion prevails) people think that a lack of belief or doubt indicates lack of moral fiber. Of course, that is not the case. Even recently, Mother Theresa's writings revealed her serious doubts about a god, so much so that it becomes apparent she could have been atheist without saying so. Not many would accuse her of badness.

Listen, everyone is in reality an agnostic. Nobody living on earth can prove or disprove the existence of a creator who may have set things in motion. Some agnostics choose to believe, others choose not to believe. That's the choice we have, and hopefully our response isn't based just on what's popular to believe.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I believe we were created . I believe life has a purpose. I believe I will never find the ultimate truth and I'm ok with that . I believe Im glad I am alive and posting on this site.

Good post, I pretty much agree with everything you say.

If there is a purpose. And we have eternity I think we will find it. Or find our way back home.

If you meant not finding the ultimate truth in this body in this dimension. I agree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit