Announcement Letter of Russell's Death

by startingover 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• greendawn
    greendawn

I didn't get what Rutherford wrote about the Temple was it supposed to be a property of the society? And why have two funeral services one at the Temple and one at the cemetary? And also why is the cemetary so close to a masonic temple and the two seem to be one complex (no fence or wall between them)?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Startingover Well done great stuff!

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

The temple was nothing but the equivallent of today's Bethel. It was called the Brooklyn Temple or Brooklyn Tabernacle. Two funerals - not so strange, you will find the same today when someone is to be buried in another town than where he lived and worked; they have one funeral there, and then the coffin is taken to the place of burial and there they have a private funeral or a more tuned-down one for family or friends. A common thing. The toga thing has been well known for years, I fail to see how one can put that much emphasis on one man that one loses one's faith when one discovers things one doesn't like about that man - then it is not the others, but oneself, who has got problems.

• Ancientofdays
    Ancientofdays

I fail to see how one can put that much emphasis on one man that one loses one's faith when one discovers things one doesn't like about that man - then it is not the others, but oneself, who has got problems

An organizzation claim to be God's channel because the foundator has been committed by Jesus.
    Some men beleive it.

When one of this man "discovers things" on the foundator , he just ask him self : why did Jesus made a deal with this funny guy in the beginning of 19th century ? I wouldn't have take him so seriously , so why Jesus did ?
    That's the point , I think

• jaydee
    jaydee

WOW, and thanks so much from me too

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Bump to the top for the anniversary of Russell's death.

• moshe
    moshe

Kidney failure (from a bladder infection) probably killed Russell and he probably had plenty of warning from doctors that his condition was hopeless. I have a great idea- lets take go on a strenous train trip and kill myself sooner! Some antibiotics would have cured that infection- and yet JWs are still proclaiming how the world is worse today than even a generation ago.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

For those who wonder about some of the terminology

Remember that this group were not "Jehovah's Witnesses". That name was not adopted until years later when Rutherford changed the name from what they used - "Bible Students".

Under Rutherford's durection the organization took on a whoile new ideology and almost all of Russell's teachings were dropped and replaced by the dozens and dozens of books filled with his nonsense which is now almost all ignored.

"New light" gets dimmer all the time

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My father inheirited materials from the Russell days. I stumbled upon them when I was desperate for reading material. When I read the materials, I was spooked that I screamed for my mother. The occult! The weird language (it may just have been dated). She came running and explained this is what we used to believe. I could not understand the used to for Truth. Next, she told me the great shocker: Witnesses celebrated Christmas! I was so starved for Christmas merriment and toys. In fact, the Society used to urge people to give Wt literature as Christmas gifts. What a Xmas gift!

Right now I just find it so comical. Truth should have some enduring qualities. I note that Rutherford focused on reporting the minutae of Russell's funeral rather than Russell's body of work. Creature worship.

Was it Ray Franz book that they mentioned about the inaccurate, crazy calculations of Armageddon. One date was off b/c the train schedule did not report a spur that increased or decreased the train time. The author visited the choo choo train people and discovered the error. There was a recalculation. No Armageddon.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

So they claimed they had two days of not really knowing...?

from a post 5 years ago...

Menta Sturgeon wired his wife that Pastor Russell had died. A. H. MacMillan intercepted the telegram at the Brooklyn Bethel home and wired J. F. Rutherford, then at a convention in Oakland, Maryland, “The old man is dead. 1 Rutherford came immediately to Brooklyn and took over.

yeah right! Craftry old McMillan the villain knew alright.

they were masters of spin even in 1916.

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit