Can men discuss feminism critically?

by Paralipomenon 74 Replies latest jw friends

• freyd
    freyd

QUOTE - "The childless housewife is not a prostitute. Prostitutes earn their own living, and don't spend their days flicking switches and watching soap operas."

But she still belongs to the man.

• eclipse
    eclipse

Freyd,

Were you raised in an abusive male dominated household where your father beat the shit out of your mother for small infractions like not buttering his toast the way he specified it?

Did he used to tell her that he owned her and that she was nothing without him?

How did it make you feel to watch her as her head was smashed off the floor, or her pregnant belly kicked in for accidently dropping a plate and breaking it?

Just curious as to how a man living in 2007 would still say ignorant comments that belong back in the dark ages.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Perhaps freyd is a pusher-of-buttons, eclipse?

• eclipse
    eclipse

For his sake, I hope so

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

An interesting statistic.

Spousal abuse isn't just wife beating. Studies have shown that women were the instigators in physical violence against their husbands nearly as much as men (40% of cases). The key difference is that a woman usually lacks the strength to inflict the same level of damage a man can do.

This raises an interesting moral dilemma. Is a woman that strikes a man but leaves little lasting damage less or equally responsible than a man that strikes a woman. Is it the intent to hurt, or the ability that is more important?

Also, battered husbands, while very real, are even less likely to report the abuse or leave than their female counterparts.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes I will criticize feminism, Women should be barefoot, pregnant and chained to the stove and love washing my underwaer.

• freyd
    freyd

Eclipse, I think you're my kind of woman. Bellyache all you want. But the prime thing a woman desires is to be loved.

• eclipse
    eclipse

L O L thanks for the laugh of the day, freyd.. Just when I thought you couldn't be more wrong, you excede my expectations.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I was disgusted by a study of stay-at-home housewives in the 90s (no less!)

it said generally "why shouldn't a husband PAY for his pleasures like everyone else?"

A married childless woman seems to believe her status entitles her to behave in a way called "spongeing" if indulged in by a man.

House work is not real work. Not the equal of paid employment, not something that demands exclusive devotion and an eight hour day.This is proved by the number of women who work and look after their family.

The house wife is the abnormal one now, soon to go the way of the serf and the child chimney sweep.

HB

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Only if he keeps his mouth shut!

This is definetly a topic a guy has to approach carefully; when or even if to speak, depending where he is and who he's with. There are all types of people in any group: the Nazi types, the dogma types, the live-and-let-live types, and any in between.

I think too, that it is common for people to hate externally something within themselves, and or to seek victim roles-for example, homophobic "straight" males who just protest too much, or criminals who make claims of racism, when they probably should point their finger at themselves for their actions. This is not a simple issue.

For example, the real man hating Femi-Nazi types, are they not sexist? So they hate that behavoir in others, but not themselves? This same scenario could also be applied to race, especially here in the U.S.

It may be naive, but I just wish that people could choose-deliberatly!-to get along, treat one another with dignity, acknowledge and embrace our differences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit