What is Armageddon then????

by The Scotsman 14 Replies latest jw friends

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Hi Folks

As many of you will know I am having serious doubts regarding many of the JW teachings and doing some research myself, Very enlightening.

My point -

The bible clearly mentions Armageddon, a destructive event, Gods war.

JWs believe this will happen soon and destroy all the wicked but let the righteous remain.

Personally I accepted the JW version for many years but it sounds a bit off the mark to me now.

If the JW view is wrong - what do you think is the correct view???

Ta much

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The broadest definition of Armageddon is the final end of all evil. That makes allowance for mankind to end evil permanently. This can be accomplished either by destroying the whole population, or it can be done peacefully by removing from power all that insist on creating problems where none needed to exist solely to protect their jobs and power.

If those in power were removed who abuse it, and people were put in power that would fix the mess that we are in, we would see the end of wickedness. Those who persist in it would simply be laughed out of existence. And the free market, along with science that no longer has to cater to regulations, can produce and distribute products that will solve all our problems. Diseases get cured, not just managed. We get a new source of energy that doesn't pollute or run out. People are stimulated at work, so they don't need their fix of drugs and alcohol. Products grow cheaper (just look at what happened to computers: the computer I am using here cost less than one that was only 64K did in 1985). And the average person gets rich.

If this happens, there is no need for crime. Why steal something you can make for less work? Why rob someone for a fix of drugs when you get a better high creating something of value? So-called kick crimes disappear as the real thrills come from solving problems with finality or creating new dimensions of existence. There goes most common wickedness--forever. As for those who would abuse the power: They end up getting disfellowshipped from society until they create value for society, effectively eliminating that problem (they would have to actually create value to be reinstated; that would also stop them from ever again usurping power). And, with all the motives for evil gone, Armageddon could happen with no loss of life!

Of course, this is one definition you will not find in the Watchtower publications. They believe that God will destroy anyone who does not fully accept all his doctrines as per the Watchtower Society. All that does is creates a society that is stagnant, afraid of ever thinking outside the box for fear of getting destroyed. You noe have all the boredom and stagnation you see now, but without the kicks (some of which are actually harmless, like going to the amusement park). I cannot see how anyone would want to live forever in such a world. And, since stagnation will still be here, so will its associated suffering. And evil will have survived; Armageddon, by its truest definition will not have happened even among the horrible loss of life.

Jehovah God,

YOU'RE FIRED!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    The bible clearly mentions Armageddon, a destructive event, Gods war.

Actually the book of Revelation, a 1st-century Jewish-Christian apocalyptic fantasy about the expected end of the Roman empire, which happened (after much debate) to be accepted and set at the end of the Christian Bible, and for that reason has been misread ever since as the ultimate "cryptic revelation" (how's that for an oxymoron?) about an ever-postponed future.

Perspective...

• Clam
    Clam
    Actually the book of Revelation, a 1st-century Jewish-Christian apocalyptic fantasy about the expected end of the Roman empire, which happened (after much debate) to be accepted and set at the end of the Christian Bible, and for that reason has been misread ever since as the ultimate "cryptic revelation" (how's that for an oxymoron?) about an ever-postponed future.

So brilliantly and succinctly put.

LOL - over and out!

Clam

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

<<< a 1st-century Jewish-Christian apocalyptic fantasy about the expected end of the Roman empire >>>

I have to say that a fullfillment in the first century does seem plausable. Though I do feel that not all of reveleation applied to the first century.

And, of course, much if not all is purely symbolic, so trying to equate it to a specific fact is difficult.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

"Preterism is a variant of Christian eschatology which holds that some or all of the biblical prophecies concerning the Last Days (or End Times) refer to events which actually happened in the first century after Christ's birth. The term preterism comes from the Latin praeter, meaning "past". Adherents of Preterism are known as Preterists. The two principal schools of Preterist thought are commonly called Partial Preterism and Full Preterism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preterism

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

It all began with Zoroastrianism, my friend.

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

I don't believe anything the WT&TS has to say about the big A. How many times did it come into conversation while we were inside? (The Borg)

Is it going to last for weeks? Maybe a few years? It will be over in a day! Or maybe Armegeddon is on already but there is so much going on we have'nt noticed.

edit to add: Welcome back Scotsman! Good to see you again.

• gnulite
    gnulite
    The bible clearly mentions Armageddon, a destructive event, Gods war

Where does it say this?

Rev 16:14 "the war OFthe great day ofGod the Almighty."

Gnulite perhaps maybe quite possibly soon to be published...you heard it here first

The first OF is the only one relevant to the war.... of God the Almighty has reference to the great day NOT the war. Therefore this is referring to a timeframe for a war that takes place DURING this Great Day(unknown time period) of God the Almighty and not who's war it is. Or am I reading this tooooo slowly?

gnulite

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Gnulite...

I think you may be reading that verse a bit to slowly, but anyway, on many occasions throughout the bible it speaks of "The great and fear inspiring day of jehovah". JWs teach that this is referring to the aforementioned Armageddon.

I am not sure what it all refers to but it could refer to a particular event, either in the past or yet to happen.

You suggest new light on this????? If it was a major shift it would not go down well with the average JW.

I believe the next new light will be to do with 1914. (You heard it here first, well you read it here first)!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit