Going to other churches, religion after being a Dub???

by bluesbreaker59 12 Replies latest jw friends

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

I have a hard time feeling comfortable in churches. It may be the fear of spontaneous combustion, lightning strike or crucifiction for heresy

I posted on the pagan thread that my personal preferences run to the pagan side of things. But I have had very positive experiences with the Unitarian Univeralists. The first time I attended went like this; service started with a non-denominational hymn (typical hymn, but not all full of god and the bible, just peace, love etc) and the use of a Tibetan prayer bowl (kind of like an inverted bell), then a candle ceremony for those that are in our thoughts. The sermon itself was about Fred Rogers (Mr Rogers Neighborhood), what a cool cat he was and all the good things he worked for during his life (I guess he was a Presbyterian minister at one point). This was followed by a reading from the Tao Te Ching and other varied texts. This particular UU group had a subgroup of pagans affiliated with it.

It was interesting to attend a church that didn't feel like a church, and to experience a religion that was all about exploring other thoughts and integrating what worked for you. That being said, I only attended a few times. Like alot of you, I have other things I rather do than get all dressed up on Sunday morning, like sleep!

• ness
    ness

having been raised hardcore JW has pretty much destroyed any chance of me ever being able to have any other faith. i actually find this REALLY annoying, as I'd really love to be a half arsed Christian that can go to church at Christmas and Easter without that overpowering feeling of hypocrisy. Unfortuantely as JWs we've been taught to analyse everything and most religions and their practices will never stand up to scrutiny...

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Other thoughts, opinions, suggestions, conjecture???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit