Vocalization about being a JW v. being an XJW

by sweetface2233 16 Replies latest jw friends

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

When I was in school I was shy about admitting I was a witness, but when asked why I don't do this or that I'd feel compelled to say. I'd remember that story about one of the apostles (I can't remember who) who denied he knew Jesus three times then some bird crowed. So I'd better say I was a witness lest some bird crow! O_o

Being an x-jw I think is a part of who I am, and I think that people deserve to know that, although it's not something I throw in people's faces. I guess I could say I'm not a militant x-jw, but I'm not going to hide the fact that I spent a good portion of my life raised to believe a lie either.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    I don't even like telling people I am an ex-JW. However it is much easier than telling them when I was a JW

That pretty much sums it up for me too, although I've told more people I'm an ex-JW than I told that I was a JW.

BB

• Brigido
    Brigido

I never admited to it ever! I was always "ashamed" of it and of course, whilst I was in, felt guilty about that. It was really hard in school dealing with being a JW because of all the issues, you can't help but stand out. I finally got to the point that I never mentioned it anywhere. Not at work, with my friends, ever.

Now that I'm out of there, I could care less about vocalizing it. I mean, if someone would ask me directly these days, I would probably tell them that I used to be a JW but am not any more and for that matter, don't really care for any organized religion. I don't need a religion to be close to God or to dictate to me whether or not I am a good person.

That's my 2 cents,

Brigido

• eclipse
    eclipse

I hated telling anyone I was a JW, I was not proud of it at all.

I knew they thought we were crazy.

If anyone new asks me about my past, I am reluctant to say that I was a JW.

But to anyone that knew me as a dub, (like highschool chums)

I am proud to tell them that I am free now and no longer a brainwashed jw.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Being a convert to the religion, I was quite vocal, at least until
    my last year or so when I started to doubt the watchtower.

I'm just as vocal nowadays in my anti - watchtower activities.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Hey sweets, I am so much more vocal about being an ex jw than I ever was admitting I was one while in it. Being brought up as one, you are forced in certain situations to deal with, which sucked, royally. My parents were pretty hardcore in those days, so I stood out at my Catholic school like a sore thumb, yup, I went to a Catholic school, me and one jewish boy, and a school full of Catholics, weee! (Note the sarcasm there!) Now if a conversation comes up about religion, I proudly announce I am an ex JW and that I don't feel the need for any organized religion whatsoever. But I do tend to avoid the topic most times, I just get tired of the look on people's faces when you try to explain it all. You know, that "wow, your childhood sucked" look.

• moley
    moley

I remember playing football (soccer to my fellow americans) in the park with a group of brothers, (we were allowed to do that back then) and some worldly (some who went to my school) kids asked if they could join, only for the elder to start explaining to these kids why they couldnt join in and the reasons why we keep seperate from the world. Very bemused 11 yr olds. I wanted the ground to swallow me, and got it in the neck at school the nxt day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit