How to Ruin a Childhood

by WTWizard 16 Replies latest jw experiences

Bottom line is, we didn't know any better at the time...

That "excuse" doesn't cut it. Every parent ought to be expected to have at least a modicum of common sense. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize that forcing infants to sit perfectly still and quiet for hours at a time under threat of physical punishment is both abusive and unnatural, or that forcing one's children to associate with JWs only would lead to retarded social development, etc. etc. etc..

While I've forgiven my parents for their misdeeds in raising me, I won't go as far as to let them off the hook with the "we didn't know any better" line of excuses. They did know better, they simply chose to ignore their common sense.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

bluesmurf92 - what's up with this statement?

Told repeatedly that school is an evil place which turns kids away from their parents. Cowering as my JW dad towered over me, screaming that I was doomed to go to hell, at the tender age of 6. I can even thank my dad, his beliefs, & his temper for my poor eyesight.

hell you say?

• White Dove
    White Dove

That is a good excuse/reason. We didn't have a thing to compair it to. Our common sense was formed by the WTS from birth, for a lot of us. Remember that the only association many of us had were other JW's who shaped our common sense and everything we knew. We really didn't know how the world worked since we were forbidden to go out into it and learn from it. Satan and the demons were to be morbidly feared as he was going to subtly entice us from serving Jehovah. If we let that happen, we would get an eye rotting, tongue falling out of mouth, firy, buildings collapsing on us death. We were scared of that! On top of it all, we would never see our loved ones again because we would be forever dead. Some, like myself, were raised this same way and only knew this way of raising kids. No, WTS keeps our common sense warped and under thier thumb. I knew it was uncomfortable but thought it was necessary. The only thing we can help is what we do about it now. We do know better now.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Doomed to go to hell??? What hell? JW parents never used that on their kids. It was always "destroyed at Armageddon," never "doomed to go to hell." That sounds Baptist because some do talk like that.

That is a good excuse/reason. We didn't have a thing to compair it to. Our common sense was formed by the WTS from birth, for a lot of us. Remember that the only association many of us had were other JW's who shaped our common sense and everything we knew. We really didn't know how the world worked since we were forbidden to go out into it and learn from it. Satan and the demons were to be morbidly feared as he was going to subtly entice us from serving Jehovah. If we let that happen, we would get an eye rotting, tongue falling out of mouth, firy, buildings collapsing on us death. We were scared of that! On top of it all, we would never see our loved ones again because we would be forever dead. Some, like myself, were raised this same way and only knew this way of raising kids. No, WTS keeps our common sense warped and under thier thumb. I knew it was uncomfortable but thought it was necessary. The only thing we can help is what we do about it now. We do know better now.

White Dove,

With all due respect, this is a lame effort to avoid personal accountability for one's own actions. Neither the WTS nor any other entity can "form" one's common sense for them; as common sense refers to native intelligence that is unaffected by one's training, education, etc.. Nothing the WTS could have said or did would likely have convinced you that walking on coals would not result in burns, right? Similarly, nothing the WTS said or did should have convinced you that beating your infants because they naturally could not sit perfectly still and quiet at meetings would not harm them, or retarding their social development by limiting their association to JWs only would not adversely affect them. I too, was raised in this cult by extremely zealous parents, yet never understood why parents would shut off their common sense simply because a NY corporation told them to.

The WTS is certainly blameworthy for its role in the misery that most JW children experience in their crucial developmental years. But too many people want to solely blame the WTS, whose responsibility for the horrendous treatment of JW children is obvious, instead of accepting that they too, were at a minimum partially responsible for the harm inflicted on their children, for ignoring what should be common sense to anyone of average intelligence.

• Ex Nihilo
    Ex Nihilo

My childhood wasn't ruined, my parents took every anniversary and report card and turned it into a huge present laden party, and on Halloween, we got to raid price slashed candy.

I could read chapter books by the time I was five, and overcame my social anxiety disorder because I was lucky.

The only time I hated it was when I quit, because I don't think it is fair to have kids and expect them to believe their religion. I was good and respected their beliefs up until the moment I moved out. I now do what I like but tactfully avoid discussing it with my mom. We are all happy.

I feel sorry for kids that convert in,because they had other things before, their parents are often dumb and don't supplement what they take away.

• bluesmurf92
    bluesmurf92

That's what I remember my dad telling me. That hell is 6 feet away, and that me, my siblings, my mother, and everyone I knew were going there, but that he was the only one who wouldn't. This started even earlier than 6, even before I was old enough to enter kindergarten. So I didn't understand, but the way he kept screaming it at me, and telling me that everyone I knew and/or cared about would go to this horrible place... well, I never gave my dad a "Father of the Year" award. I also remember my dad telling me I'd never get to go to school anyway. The world would end before then. And of course, school was a "terrible place" anyway. Strangely enough, I remember looking forward to school. Maybe because my father, who back then was lord of my life, told me I'd never get there. I hope this makes some sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit