Body Modification...

by bbdodger 19 Replies latest jw friends

• bbdodger
    bbdodger

I love to login to myspace and see if I can find some ex-JWs, or active JWs from (my) cong., or ones that I knew from other congs.

I came across a profile of someone I knew, who was in the same congregation. Her name isn't particularly common, and there is a resemblance, so I think it's most likely the girl who I went to KH with.

She says she's "atheist", and has a tattoos on her face, piercings, and her profile is decorated with naked women. Gads! Once I saw a documentary about JWs, and there was a young woman who was molested by an elder, and had facial tattoos, very "punk" looking. Even I have lots of tattoos, I use to have piercings, but still have my nostril, and my ear lobes have 1" discs in them. I've also found a couple of people here, and read some comments about other ex-Jdubs who are into body modification.

Do you think that young ex-Jdubs are more inclined to be into body art, because being a Jdub meant not "drawing attention to yourself"? From age 13 on, I was trying desperately to look as shocking as possible, and I think that after so long of having to blend in you just want to set yourself apart and you want to do the opposite, so it becomes almost like an obsession. I've always craved attention, and I've always had a need to set myself apart from other people, inside and out. This could be especially true because being JW meant being bland and boring, so you wouldn't stand out.

Body art and ex-Jdub "youth"...I wonder if there is possibly a correlation here???

• ness
    ness

my 2 cents -

i doubt if there is any specific correlation to body modification...but id also say that generally, people who are raised in a controlling and repressive environment will be more inclined to 'rebel', manifesting itself in many ways.

• BFD
    BFD

I tend to agree with ness. My rebellion had more to do with sex and drugs and rock and roll.

I was 45 years old before I got my first tattoo and it had nothing to do with rebellion. It was in honor of my father who died in 2001.

BFD

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

My personal hypothesis: As dubs we are raised on the outside of society. After we leave, we become part of said society, but are more prone than most to be comfortable being a bit freaky or on the outside. This is based mostly on my personal approach and observations.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I've noticed tatoos have been very popular for the past 20 years among all kinds of people.

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

For me, piercing and ink are among the ways I am bringing who I have felt like on the inside (even when as a dub) into alignment with what I look like on the outside.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Ah, I did the sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll exit course, with a course in BM.

The BM stopped at navel and tragus, and the tragus had to go because of work. I was thinking of a full set of wings as a back tattoo, but don't see it happening now. Still got my navel ring after 14 years.

But I am kinky and smoke pot, although I've not picked up a guitar in a year, more's the pity.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I agree with Jess some people are in to it some aren't. I never was in to it on myself and probably never will be. i do think it's hot on other people though.

• oompa
    oompa

Yes I think there is a link, esp for the younger exjw's. I know a ton and they are very inked up.

not that theres anything wrong with that......oompa

• bbdodger
    bbdodger

AGAIN, I think that it has to do with being told not to "draw attention to yourself" so much. I think it has to do with younger ex-JWs wanting to make known once and for all that they are no longer interested in being a Witness, and you know how obsessed the people in KH can be about appearance. I doubt that even if someone with tattoos wanted to come back, they wouldn't be welcomed fully.

It's like, making a decision that you're never going to go back, or be associated with the Organization ever again! It's a way of permanently ousting yourself and making yourself as worldly looking as possible. I also think that it would be a good way of making them want to keep their distance.

I think there is definitely a correlation, but I enjoy reading your opinions on the matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit