Pseudo Thanksgiving - Everyone doesn't have to work....Lets cook a turkey!

by Hangin_on 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hangin_on
    Hangin_on

How many people or their families, friends etc. would have a Turkey on or around Thanks-giving and say they weren't celebrating they were just having dinner.

My mother and her friends would get a free turkey around TG time and they would cook it on thanks giving because everyone was home from work.

Its not celebrating... its just turkey!!!

• Hangin_on
    Hangin_on

I even know some members of the "Glitterati" that would have a "special day" party for their kids with an unspecific number of candles on a cake.

• journey-on
    journey-on

LOL! My family did the same thing. Mother would say it's because turkeys are cheaper this time of year and since we're off work and out of school, it's a good time to get together. Then, of course, there was turkey and dressing, candied yams, giblet gravey, and pumpkin pie, mincemeat pie, coconut cake, and a gazillion other things we didn't get any other time of the year. I LOVED OUR "NOT THANKSGIVING" DAY!

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

(raises hand)

My mother in law would have everyone over to her house. And then of course we'd have to hurry home and get ready for thursday night meeting. The food was all the traditional thanksgiving fare.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Yep, us too, and on Christmas Day, and eat Hot Cross Buns at Easter.

My mother in law won't have a turkey at Christmas though. She waits till Boxing Day.

BB

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Yup, every year. I liked our not thanksgiving dinners.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    I even know some members of the "Glitterati" that would have a "special day" party for their kids with an unspecific number of candles on a cake

I got my kids out of the borg when my eldest son was in about 3rd grade. (Wish I had done it sooner). Before that, though, I would have "I Love You" parties for them and invite all their little witness friends from our Kingdom Hall. We'd play games, musical chairs, pin the tail on the donkey, have cake and ice cream, and I'd buy little hats and whistles just like at birthday parties. They would have so much fun. I was the only one that did that. I wanted my kids to have some semblance of normalcy. I finally just got them out of it altogether.

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

We would always do the big "turkey" (read thanksgiving) dinner on Friday instead of Thursday.

• BFD
    BFD

While I was growing up my mom was a zealous JW, still is (of the shunning variety) but, we always had turkey on Thanksgiving. Go figure.

Turkey2

BFD

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Yeah! I've had pseudo-thanksgiving! I've had it many times now at my grandparents' house. My aunt and uncle come from out of town, and we eat with whoever happens to be staying at my grandparents' place (as they have rooms to rent, or just offer, if the person can't pay). No one mentions thanksgiving, and sometimes it's at the beginning of the month, but we certainly have cranberry sauce, turkey, stuffing, and pie. It is damn good. And really, it's Thanksgiving without the title.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit