You've Gotta Own it Baby.......

by AllTimeJeff 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

As I write this, I am sitting and watching PBS's tribute to Johnny Cash. Specificaly, the Johnny Cash Show from the late 60's. My dad as I recall told me about this show and how revolutionary and groundbreaking it was at the time. Cash of course was a rebel through and through. From where I sit today, it is amazing they gave him a show. He was against the Vietnam War vocally and used his show to promote that view. I heard "The Man in Black" for the first time in a decade at least. Now whatever you think about this guy, Johnny Cash is a man. I saw "Walk the Line" on the flight back from my missionary assignment. (True story: I had no idea they even shot the movie till I saw it on the flight...lol... Gotta love how in touch missionaries are....)

This all led me to something that I believe: You have to own who you are, where you come from, what you like, and what you don't. That doesn't mean that you need to be an @$$hole about your pov. Far from it. Hopefully, as ex JW's, most of us can relate to how stupid and dangerous that is. Yet, there is nothing wrong with doing your thing! I am sitting here right now reflecting on the fact that I have very eclectic tastes in music and philosophies in life. I know there is no one else like me. Period. And there are times I want to get bitter over opportunities that I missed, but I can also tell you that I have been forged through fire. I am sure that is true for all of us.....

So we have to own our pasts and the decisions we make in the future. We need to embrace what we like and not aplogize for it. If there is something that we disagree with, even on a fundamental level, we can still use our experience as JW's and realize that there are worse things that can happen then merely disagreeing with someone. We could censure a person. We could reject people and lifestyles we don't understand. That is worse.

So own it! Own yourself. Accept yourself. In the end, there is no other way to go....

Just the miscellanious ramblings of an appreciative ex JW.........

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Yes, Johnny Cash was Unique. I grew up listening to his music.

Even as an Older man, He did his own thing. He Recorded music with Nine Inch Nails.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Nothing greater than allowing yourself, to be, yourself. No, all the clubs and spears are not things I'm particullarly proud of, but the pains of the past have taught me some of the greatest lessons. I know my life could've been worse, yet, I can still feel the hand of God, forming and shapeing my future, my destiny. It's been a difficult road to hoe, but I'm greatful to have had the chance to come thru the fire of the world, thru the fire of having once been JW, as well as the inferno that ensues upon leaving.

When you believe in things that you don't understand, you suffer, were the words to Stevie Wonder's, Supersticious. Thanks still be to God for having showed me the effects of the Red Pill, as well as The Blue one. And All Time Jeff, thank you for reminding me, that for right now, it's still OK to be, me.

• oompa
    oompa

Man I love the man in black, and your optimism. Also your story post I just read, very intersting and well written. How are you and your folk doing, and what is up with your ex?

Update please if you can....oompa

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Bravo!!

• tula
    tula

It's scriptural: "The smelting pot is for silver, but the furnace is for gold".

• choosing life
    choosing life

To be a missionary that saw through the insanity is unusual, to say the least. You have seen the underbelly of the org. up close and personal. I am glad you found your way out. And yes, to be who you truly are is our calling in this life.

You sound pretty upbeat. Hold that note.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Great message, AllTimeJeff!

Thanks.

• shell69
    shell69

The years of programming though, can cause us to feel unnacceptable, be this if our oppinion differs, or our way of life is different.

I think thats why this board is of such a benefit to all the faders and ex dubs, because the variety of subject matter on here allows us to express our selves, and to learn that actually we are acceptable human beings, even if our oppinions are different.

We all now have a future of our own making and don't constantly have to live up to standards set by other people; This really puts me im mind of a few lines from U2's 'one'

Love is a temple, love the higher law

Love is a temple, love the higher law

You ask me to enter, and then you make me crawl,

and I cant keep holding on, to what you got;

When all you got is hurt.

Peace to all of you, we don't have to let this cult hurt us anymore.

Shell

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Bono rocks! Great use of those lyrics Shell....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit