Worst use of "Jehovah" instead of Lord in NWT Christian GRK scriptures?

by oompa 19 Replies latest jw friends

• tfjw
    tfjw

I just checked j17 reference and Professor Delitzsch does use the Divine Name. Delitzsch was a Trinitarian and translated the "Christian Greek Scriptures" into Hebrew from Greek upon being commissioned by a Bible society. He used this reference to help his Jewish readers to identify the Messiah with YHWH. The same premise goes for j18.

Today these versions are published by Trinitarian Christian publishing companies, yet the wts relies on them to justify their insertion of the Divine Name.

• oompa
    oompa

TFJW or anyone else who can tell me. Where and how do reference the "J" versions. They sure aren't lying around the house of any JW I know, and I have never even seen one. Just because the "J" translations decided to create spurious verses is sure a dumb reason for NWT to do so.

where the J are they......oompa

• tfjw
    tfjw

oompa said: "TFJW or anyone else who can tell me. Where and how do reference the "J" versions. They sure aren't lying around the house of any JW I know, and I have never even seen one. Just because the "J" translations decided to create spurious verses is sure a dumb reason for NWT to do so. where the J are they......oompa"

j17 is here http://www.kirjasilta.net/ha-berit/

Acts 7 here: http://www.kirjasilta.net/ha-berit/Maa.7.html

The Jewish Witnesses in Germany, before Nazi Rutherford kicked them out, used j17 instead of German (Luther, Elberfelder) translation.

Transliteration of Acts 7:60 from j17:
    vai-yich-ra al-bir-kov vai-yiz-'ak kol go-dol YHWH al-tish-mor lo-hem es-ha-chei-t' haz-zeh vay-hi a-cha-rei dab-b'-ro kad-do-vor haz-zeh vai-yi-shon

But as I said, the only reason the translator used YHWH was to help his Jewish readers to identify YHWH with Messiah, but this doesn't give the Society legitimate reasons for inserting "Jehovah" into the text since they are not trying to prove "Jehovah" is Jesus. Instead, they do it for the opposite.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

mark for later

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Two other things to keep in mind about the J references:

(1) They are not textual authorities. They are for the most part translations like the NWT. To cite them as sources would be like citing the "King James Version" as a textual source. Versional support is valid when the readings preserve information about the underlying Greek Vorlage. The use of YHWH in the "J versions" doesn't stem from an original textual tradition that was lost in the Greek versions. They are all innovative renderings of kurios as "YHWH". Yet the Society unabashedly assigns them sigla and lists them in the critical apparatus alongside genuine textual authorities like codices and papyri.

(2) The Society cites them arbitrarily. They serve mainly to show that when the Society does decide to render kurios as "Jehovah" they are not the first to do so. But the "J versions" do not offer a rationale for translating kurios as "Jehovah" in one text or as "Lord" in another. The Society picks and chooses which ones to cite and where as they see fit.

• tfjw
    tfjw
    Two other things to keep in mind about the J references:

(1) They are not textual authorities. They are for the most part translations like the NWT. To cite them as sources would be like citing the "King James Version" as a textual source. Versional support is valid when the readings preserve information about the underlying Greek Vorlage. The use of YHWH in the "J versions" doesn't stem from an original textual tradition that was lost in the Greek versions. They are all innovative renderings of kurios as "YHWH". Yet the Society unabashedly assigns them sigla and lists them in the critical apparatus alongside genuine textual authorities like codices and papyri.

(2) The Society cites them arbitrarily. They serve mainly to show that when the Society does decide to render kurios as "Jehovah" they are not the first to do so. But the "J versions" do not offer a rationale for translating kurios as "Jehovah" in one text or as "Lord" in another. The Society picks and chooses which ones to cite and where as they see fit.

Exactly Leolaia.

The fact they even pick and choose liek this is dishonest since some of these j sources indicate to the reader the YHWH is Jesus. They refused to use those. Completely dishonest!

But the average JW will not know this because they are now told not to study Hebrew or Greek.

• Clam
    Clam

Very interesting thread. Thanks people.

Clam

• oompa
    oompa

newbies need to know this......and believing mates too.......cause anyone who changes the bible should not be trusted........oomps

i found this by accident when i was checking up on my last post......and of course it takes you back to your FIRST posts instead of your LAST posts........oomps.......and i was bored

• DJK
    DJK

• DJK
    DJK

It won't let me edit the blank, sorry.

Would it be bad to say "Jehovah damn it" instead of "God damn it"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit