Any Supporting Scriptures for the Trinity in the OLD Testament?

by eclipse 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mum
    Mum

In a religion course I took, one of the first things the professor addressed was the difference between the OT and NT concepts of G-d. The Jewish equivalent of "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" is "the Lord our god is One."

I hope Moshe or other Jewish posters will weigh in on this one.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Needed to double-check what I've learned before! In the shema in Deuteronomy 6:4-5, the word used for 'one' is a compound one, as opposed to a singular or number one. This is often used as an apologetic for the Trinity.

Found this website which explains the difference, as well as giving some more OT pointers:

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/triunity.html

• Guest39
    Guest39

I used think that "Let US create" was similar to Queen Victoria saying "WE are not amused." - A form of emphasis. I now think it is a type of conversation between Jehovah and Jesus Christ. Another thought is, while I can see where some can get a Jehovah/Jesus duality, how did the "Holy Spirit" become part of it to make a trinity? TC

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Gen 19:24

Then Jehovah made it rain sulphur and fire from Jehovah, from the heavens, upon Sod'om and upon Go·mor'rah.

(YHWH in heaven versus YHWH on earth)
  • eclipse
    eclipse

Very Interesting Deputy Dog!

Thanks to everyone for your very informative responses...

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Isa 63:10

But they rebelled, and grieved His holy spirit; therefore He was turned to be their enemy, Himself fought against them.

The Holy Spirit is "grieved" by disobedience. This verb in Hebrew is used in conjuntion with persons (or God and gods); never of inanimate things.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Sorry Dog but questions from readers explains "Jehovah made it rain fire from Jehovah" is a jewish grammar issue, in 1 kings it says; "Solomon called all the people to Solomon."

There are no good Trinity scriptures in the old testament. Jesus was called "mighty god" While only Jehovah is called "Almighty" or mighter then all the mighty. Even people are refered to as gods in the O.T. Even today Jews believe in one God. I strongly believe the Trinity is rubbish.

"Let us make man in our image" obviously Jesus and the Angels.

Sorry for preaching...it's hard to stop isn't it?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Anything you really want to find in a book -- you will.

Once you accept, for instance, how the NT reads Jesus into the OT, you forego any objective ground to dismiss any interpretation of the Bible as farfetched: be it the Iraq war, the last pope, Rutherford in jail or the Cedar Point convention -- as soon as somebody "saw" it, there it is.

That a 1st-century-AD figure like Jesus or a 4th-century-AD construct like the Trinity cannot be alluded to in a 5th-century BC text is a "rationalistic" axiom. Obvious to most (hopefully) but impossible to prove. Give it up and you will soon get drowned in dozens, hundreds, thousands of arbitrary interpretations.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    questions from readers explains

We all know who's god that is!

Even today Jews believe in one God.

So do most christians, I believe in one God.

He is revealed in three persons

Sorry for preaching...it's hard to stop isn't it?

You call that preaching do ya?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Hey 00

I strongly believe the Trinity is rubbish.

I strongly believe the WT's concept of the trinity is rubbish as well!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit