What is your personal definition of evil?

by fedorE 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fedorE
    fedorE

How do you see EVIL in general? Recently a book i came across PEOPLE OF THE LIE by a well known psychologist M. Scott Peck discussed evil and evil in some of his patients. To him any harm whatsoever inflicted on another person is evil and a mental illness that can be cured. FOr all the insights he gave into evil and the indepth coverage of the subject he included OF ALL THINGS DEMONIC POSSESSION as a bonafide "force" humans should be aware of and battle.He was ridiculed for his opinions and followed up with another work detailing his cases... Of course there are Catholic Priests like the late Malachi Martin who although having a bad reputation himself is well known for his claims of excorcisms. After being moulded as a child with JW beliefs, until now,i still get a gut feeling evil is more than we know.. But i speak in generalities as I havent made up my mind. Have you? What is your definition of evil? My "definition" of evil is: The infliction of phychological and physical terror. (But by that definition i am probably offending Bible believers since YHWH was only too happy to ask Abraham to sacrifice his only son. So if you believe in the God of the Bible give your definition)

• oompa
    oompa

FDS

• snowbird
    snowbird

My personal definition of evil is when someone persists in knowingly and maliciously harming someone else.

Sylvia

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Lying Corrupt Religious leaders, now who am I thinking of........

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The above is evil because it deliberately cause harm, damage, or misfortune to others.
    The deliberate action of evil actions may be for personal gain or just for fun or
    anywhere inbetween.

Wikipedia has some thoughts on it, I like "...morally or ethically objectionable
    thought, speech, or action; behavior or thought which is hateful, cruel, violent, or
    devoid of conscience."

• PEC
    PEC

What, Snowbird said.

Philip

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

If you remove every and any living being from the universe (and beyond, if there is a beyond), would 'evil' then still be present? Is it an invisible 'force' that simply exists on it's own?

-To me, evil must be something that is perpetrated by living beings. I don't believe in demons any more, but if we for the sake of argument say they do exist, I do not believe 'evil' in them is an invisible, mysterious 'force', but rather simply the act of destructive behavior (knowingly and willingly, of course). And the same goes for any self aware, intelligent creature on earth (otherwise known as humans). 'Good' is to me constructive, 'evil' is destructive, in it's simplest terms. If you harm someone, or something someone has built up/made, you are doing something evil; something destructive. These destructive acts are done out of egotistical reasons, while good and constructive acts are usually done out of... uhm... my English fails me here, but the opposite of egotistical reasons.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but you have to start somewhere.

• nvrgnbk
  • Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

A publishing house that is structured and built on deceiving lies and coercion, do you guys know of any ?

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

I've been burned by folks who I did not consider 'evil.'

I consider someone 'evil' if they are treacherous, deceitful, and keep doing what is bad even though they plainly know it is wrong.

I'm not talking about violating blanket proscriptions or my definitions here, but doing bad works like stealing, stirring up trouble, hurting people, the like.

Anybody can make a mistake and everybody does wrong a time or two, it's how we learn. I can understand this and if it is an offense against me, I will tend to consider them, young, foolish, or even deluded and stupid, but not really evil.

Such people need to be reasoned with.

Someone who sees things differently than I do, I might just see as wrong, but then again I might come to see things as they do with a little debate.

But someone who smiles to my face, then intentionally cuts me by stealing my stuff or actively working for my downfall; somebody who conceals their true feelings so they can work harm, THAT is evil.

Evil people need to be avoided.

Harming an innocent, like child molesters, rapists, and murderers is BEYOND evil in my book, it's an abdication of any inherent humanity within the person.

Someone such as that needs to assume room temperature, and if I catch 'em at it, you can be sure they will.

No conversation, no 'get your dick out of that kid,' just grab their head and twist.

POP! Problem solved!

Easy.

RD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit