The Effect of Losing Elders

by metatron 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Metatron, I agree with every word you said. I used to think that it was just my congregation or just my area. But, I've come to learn that the same thing plays out all over. Its really no wonder that Bethel has such distain for the local elders. If they could figure out a way to go back to the company servant arrangement, I think they would do it.

However, as OTWO said, losing congregations isn't necessarily a bad thing for the WTS. They can cash out the property so in the short term, it could be profitable.

OM, so they finally decided that it is better without you than with you? Good for you! Its a real pain for a BOE to remove someone because it means more work both in the removal process and taking over the responsibilities that person was doing.

Also, they are losing MS so the pipeline for future elders is pretty slim.

I find it interesting that one of the big burn out reasons is all the administrative functions that the local branch puts on their existing elders. They could easily lighten that load but so far haven't done so.

• mind my own
    mind my own

Great posts!

My Dad was one of the elders that everyone wanted to deal with b/c he seemed more balanced and understanding than the rest. He was so busy all the time! There were some times that we hardly seen him for a couple of weeks b/c he was out everynight of the week (outside of the meetings) doing sheparding calls.

He aged so much in just a few short years. Knowing what I know now, I would have loved to ask him a few questions (not too obvious, although I could talk to him about anything it seemed) if he was having any doubts and really get his true feelings on things. I do believe he would have told me.

The reason I am talking in past tense is b/c he passed away.

My brother was appointed a MS at 19!! Way too young with his holier-than-thou attitude. Puke!

MMO

• Honesty
    Honesty

My husband was told that if he didn't accept the "privlege" of being appointed as an MS, he was basically rejecting the holy spirit and he'd be considered sinning.

Talk about being pressured into it.

And why is it they call in the brother 3 minutes before the meeting starts to say "we're announcing this tonight"?

Why can't they give the brother a heads up and let him think about it and get back to them?

rhetorical question obviously because we all know what would happen if they let us THINK

Deja vu' I was 'notified' about 5 minutes before the announcement that I had been 'appointed' I should have ran out the door then.

• oompa
    oompa

OH thank you Metatron. I only go about once a month or so, and did not even notice that the Elders are doing my old job of carrying the mics!!!! God I bet they hate it, except for seeing some nice cleavage once in awhile.

only us spiritual losers do mics.....oompa

• oompa
    oompa

OK OpenMind, are there less elder meeting at the CO meeing of elders? Are numbers down overall?

And Metatron, talk about quality, you would really love my pool stuttering Elder that has to give PUPLIC TALKS and can turn a 15 minute part into one hour!!!!!

Shoot me please....oompa

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

For a time in my hall, they were scrambling for appointed brothers. I had stepped down, and some brothers were moving out. The same people were doing the same little jobs every meeting. Now they have two new elders...how much you wanna bet they will be running mics too?? The young guys in the hall usually end up demoted, and then stay there. Only.....two young guys are "fit" to carry around mics, do stage, etc.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Oompa said:

Are numbers down overall?

It's hard to say for sure. I'm guessing that the elder numbers are either flat or slightly declining in the US.

The real hit is coming though, IMO. I heard a CO say that the MS numbers are down. Big time. This was in the middle of a "guilt talk" trying to get more brothers to "reach out". With fewer future elders in the pipeline, it's just a matter of time. Also, if my thoughts are correct, then the elder population is aging. Many BOEs have 7 or 8 members, but only 2 or 3 are able to do the work. The numbers alone don't tell the whole story.

Open Mind

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Recently two elders in my congregation died months apart from each othe. One was 40 something the other 50 something. They both were doing most of the work. Heart attacks killed them. Did the strain of doing more, do more add to it???

Blueblades

• Dagney
    Dagney

One of my friends told me that the BOE is putting pressure on two of the MS's to reach out. They feel they missed their chance 5+years ago when they were into it, and now not so much. The PO is a person that likes to do it all himself, and now they don't have enough overseers to go around (I couldn't be happier!!). If they lose elders and FTS, that would certainly have an effect on how the system operates.

Many that I see are doing things half heartedly, just hoping Armageddon comes soon so they don't have to go to plan "B."

• grassyknoll07
    grassyknoll07

I am an elder. I don’t have doubts this is the truth and I have faith that in due time Jehovah will reward his org. But I am exhausted as an elder and it does take its toll on me and my family. My conscience is starting to bother me... good bye

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit