When was Jesus born?

by Anti-Christ 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

The WT always put a lot of importance on the subject that Jesus was not born the 25 of dec. Now my question is why is there two different stories in the bible about Jesus birth? in Luke 2 there is one story and in Matthew there is an other. In Luke it says that Jesus was born during a census when Quirinius was governing Syria but in Matthew it says that he was born when Herod the great was still alive. What's up with that? The census was in 6 A.D. and Herod died in 4B.C. So to those who believe in the accuracy of the bible, please explain.

(I going to wok so I will reply later)

• James Free
    James Free

Who knows! Oddly, the only confirmed date is the day he died - Nisan 14, 33CE - yet that is the least believed date of all - millions even believe he is still alive!

• Word
    Word
    Who knows! Oddly, the only confirmed date is the day he died - Nisan 14, 33CE - yet that is the least believed date of all - millions even believe he is still alive!

Of course His alive. He first appeared to Mary Magdalene

By today He has appeared to millions and millions belivers in different forms.

In fact He comes to every one of us, but few of us recognize Him.

One must know Him, to recognize Him

He is everywhere.

Afterward Jesus appeared in a different form to two of them while they were walking in the country.

Mark 16:12 (New International Version)

• snowbird
    snowbird
    millions even believe he is still alive!

Count me in on those millions!

Sylvia

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

It's not simply a Matthew-Luke contradiction inasmuch as Luke also situates his Nativity story (involving both John and Jesus within a 6-months time span) "in the days of King Herod of Judea" (1:5). Iow the Herod / Quirinius discrepancy is internal to Luke as well as with Matthew.

One of the biggest differences between Matthew and Luke here, imo, lies in the narrative connection of the places involved. When you read the stories separately without trying to knit them together, you have:

Matthew: Mary and Joseph live in Bethlehem in Judea; they leave for Egypt; because they can't go back to Bethlehem they finally move to Galilee and settle in Nazareth (2:22f).

Luke: Mary and Joseph live in Nazareth in Galilee; they travel to Bethlehem in Judea because of the (anachronistic) census; when the Judean episodes (involving especially the temple in Jerusalem) are over they simply go back to Nazareth.

JamesFree:

Actually the canonical Gospels don't agree on the day of Jesus' death. It's the day after the Passover meal in the Synoptics, the day before in John (18:28).

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Jesus was not born on the 25th of December...that is another thing by itself.

It does not really matter when Jesus was born...the point is HE was born.

"He was born to this earth through a virgin, it was told this way centries before,

He opened the entrance to Heaven so sinners could pass through its doors.

A few men would listen and less would believe....."

Jesus was probably born around October. I've heard that somewhere.

hibiscusfire

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire
    millions even believe he is still alive!

Count me in as one too. I too believe Jesus is alive with all my heart!!!!

hibiscusfire

• snowbird
    snowbird

Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law ...

The above statement works quite well for me, thank you for asking. My faith in Him is not dependent on knowing when He was born.

Sylvia

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

A comedy of errors isn't when you think that most Christan religions celebrate his birthday on the 25th of December

Wasn't there a commandment " thou shall not lie or bear false witness "

• Word
    Word

Narkissos:

It's not simply a Matthew-Luke contradiction inasmuch as Luke also situates his Nativity story (involving both John and Jesus within a 6-months time span) "in the days of King Herod of Judea" (1:5). Iow the Herod / Quirinius discrepancy is internal to Luke as well as with Matthew.

One of the biggest differences between Matthew and Luke here, imo, lies in the narrative connection of the places involved. When you read the stories separately without trying to knit them together, you have:

Matthew: Mary and Joseph live in Bethlehem in Judea; they leave for Egypt; because they can't go back to Bethlehem they finally move to Galilee and settle in Nazareth (2:22f).

Luke: Mary and Joseph live in Nazareth in Galilee; they travel to Bethlehem in Judea because of the (anachronistic) census; when the Judean episodes (involving especially the temple in Jerusalem) are over they simply go back to Nazareth.

JamesFree:

Actually the canonical Gospels don't agree on the day of Jesus' death. It's the day after the Passover meal in the Synoptics, the day before in John (18:28).

Why do you focus on this story differences ? Our belief in Him doesnt depend on what Luke, Matthew or someone else wrote. He stil lives with us today. He is omnipresent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit