Fresia...my story

by fresia 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• fresia
    fresia

Hello all, I must say it is really very hard for me to know where to start. But I guess a little bit of background before I became a JW may have to be said.

I came from a disfunctional family and at the age of 3 was sent to homes, returned back to my family only later on to be sent back to other instituations, mainly due to neglect, but later on due to my running away from an abusive home.

My mother was religious, permiscuious but still religious, this turned me of religion in general but I liked and believed in the bible. I was sexually and emotionally abuse for most of my childhood.

Running away from home at a young age and trying to look after myself was difficult. I married very young for all the wrong reasons and started to study in my early twenties, that was after seeing the movie the Exocist which scared me so much, the next day a really lovely witness women called and I started to study the bible.

I progressed quickly and wanting to put everything into the JW belief, as I was an extemist. I was baptised and started pioneering not long after, my whole waking life was to witness and non stop, I was a fanatic, completely unbalanced but always encouraging, I may have appeared over the top but I made many friends and always loved the b/s.

I eventually ran out of steam and drifted away a few years after baptism, I met someone in the world through work and we married, though the society really frowned on it, we both studied together, he eventually turned against it because he couldn't cope with the restictions, so it was hard, and we sepertated because of adultry. He died a few years later.

I met someone else and we married after awhile I started to study again and became active witness, I pioneered and my life seemed rosy, my husband respected the JW's and had no objection to it, he even took me to all the meetings and allowed studies at our home.

After awhile we had problems and it involved someone else, eventually we seperated and I fell apart and couldnt cope, I left the org again and drifted into the world.

I had heaps of problems emotionally and found no comfort in the org. I found myself developing an independance on alcohol, eventually I become a recluse and live a life of solitude away from family and friends. My depression became a real life and death situation, when I was diagonosed with a depressive order and emotinal illness and got the help I needed I gradually became more stable.

I picked up my life and become functional. It was then that a family member tracked me down and asked for a bible study, I accepted and decided to give the religion another go, but coming back after so many years it really suprised me to see that things had not progressed for the better but had become far worse, the lack of love and the police mentality of the elders, made me really think.

I started to check things out on the net and found out about the NGO the child molestation cases the Malawii and Mexico fiasco, and realised that the WTS and its GB were corrupt.

I have found at this time in my life some sort of stability with my family that are still in the org, so I stay and hope that sooner than later things will become so obvious that others will see, I still believe in the doctines but dont' believe or trust the WTS or GB. I hope that I can be of help to those I love and care about still in the org when it comes crashing down. I still do have faith in Jehovah and hope that there will be a restoration of true worship in the future.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks for sharing your story Fresia. I couldn't help but think of the back of a Watchtower from 2 or 3 years ago.

It was one of those little feel-good pieces trying to get readers to contact Brooklyn for a Bible Study. I think the title was "Are You a Smoldering Wick?" or something like that. It was basically saying that life can beat us down to the point where our "smoldering wick" is almost extinguished. Or the other analogy was a reed that is bent over and almost broken. The message was to hang in there, contact the JWs (or your elders) and they'll help you out. The message to elders was to be gentle and kind to people like this.

Unfortunately, there's plenty of mixed messages being sent from the Tower. Sure, we can be nice to people who have been beat up by life, but only as long as they make sure not to hit any predetermined Watchtower trip wires. If a person, like you, says "I believe a lot of it, but I've got a problem with this one thing...." Boom. Out you go. Don't let the screen door hit you on the way out. Nice, huh?

Anyway, Fresia, I'm glad you found this place. Lots of healing goes on here. Stick around.

Open Mind

• Metamorphosis
    Metamorphosis

Welcome Fresia and thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like you have been through a lot but are trying to keep a positive attitude. Best wishes on your journey. JW's may have some things correct, but their refusal to accept any criticism or disagreements to the point of shunning those who attempt to discuss these, even though they have been shown wrong about many statements, makes them guilty of unchristian behavior.

Morph

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

It sounds like you have been through a whole lot of tough things in life. You truely deserve to be happy....and I hope you are able to really be free from what the WTBTS did to you. Life is hard enough as it is without having to deal with leaving a cult.

Thanks for sharing!

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Thanks for your honest explination, feel for you.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Keep digging and prove to yourself that JWs do not have the truth and are not right about most things. You need to keep exposig the lie until all the JW indoctrination is gone. There is nothing there worth holding on to. But prove it to yourself. Keep asking the tough questions.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Thank you for sharing your story.

I also went back a few times.

I finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't me that had the problem, it was the Org.

I'm glad all these things have not soured your faith in Jah.

Warlock

• greendawn
    greendawn

Yes, the JW society understands next to nothing about fraternal love and solidarity just as with you they totally abandon their fellow dubs, that happen to meet serious trouble, even if they were loyal and devoted to the org.

Many ex dubs found real christianity in mainstream religions.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks for sharing, fresia.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Fresia,

I just read your story. Thank you so much for sharing with us. You have had many heartaches in your life. I hope things are calming down for you.

Something funny-I had just read the book The Excorsist and the movie was coming out when my husband and I began to study with the witnesses in 1973. I never did see the movie, but the book scared me to death (or to life as I thought at the time) and I also was very rabid when first "in."

Please don't let the past and your sad home life get you down. You deserve happiness, and I hope you find it. We're glad that you are here with us on the forum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit