What exactly can I get disfellowshipped for?

by Younglove1999 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999

My husband and I have been inactive for almost 8 months.

We haven't gone to a meeting and slowly our JW friends have stopped associating with us because we're "weak".

At some point, we'll be celebrating holidays. We probably won't make a big deal about it this year, but next year, with our daughter getting bigger, we probably will.

Since my mom babysits while I work, she'll at some point "see" that we're celebrating. If we're not actually claiming to be JW's, can we still get df'd?

I know a friend who's brother was inactive for quite sometime and she saw her brother put a X-mas tree up, brought her father as a "second witness" and ratted on him and he got df'd and the elders never even talked to him.

Is that the norm?

• okiesooner1966
    okiesooner1966

My situation may be different, I married someone did not go to the hall. My parents found out about us celebrating christmas and was furious, probably did not talk to me for a month or so. Now they accept it, there is an unwritten rule they do not come to by the house in December. Do you plan on starting this year? If you do it may be a little early for your Mom and the Elders's. One more year of fading may be the best answer.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Yes I am afraid that is the norm, the devious cult considers celebrating Christmas engaging into false religious practices and they DF people that do so. Meanwhile Xmas is more christian than their organisation will ever be. They even DF for wearing crosses or attending/giving birthday parties.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They have made it easier to get rid of you.

If someone sees that you are celebrating the holidays, the elders can just determine
    that you disassociated yourself. They can announce that you are "no longer JW's."
    That is the same announcement as a DF. The cong. will assume that you are DF'ed
    and it is really the same thing.

That's probably what happened to your friend's brother.

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999

I think this year, we're keeping it very very low-key, if anything at all.

I mean, we'll go to work functions, and send out some cards to our friends, but no decorating etc. at our house. We'll probably get a "1st X-mas" outfit for the baby so we have her first memories, but nothing obvious this year.

We're hoping by next year, my mom will be used to us not being involved that she'll just cringe but not say anything.

*crosses fingers*

• Sassy
    Sassy

yes.. particpating in Christmas is physical evidence of you particpate in "christendom" and you can be dfd.. or listed as you da'd yourself..

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

If they don't like you, they can find a way.

Pretty soon it's going to be a disfellowshipping offense to use Charmin instead of Cottonelle to wipe your ass. I wouldn't be surprised if they assigned the bookstudy conductors to inspect everyone's bathroom and linen closets.

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999

Reading the replies reminds me why I hate this religion.

And of course, for the sake of my mother and father, I have to bite my tongue in front of them...for now.

Gosh, the turmoil and crap... I'm getting angry just thinking about what may happen.

if they ever decide to disfellowship me without ever talking to me first, I'm going to send out X-mas cards to every elder for the next decade-

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999
    Pretty soon it's going to be a disfellowshipping offense to use Charmin instead of Cottonelle to wipe your ass. I wouldn't be surprised if they assigned the bookstudy conductors to inspect everyone's bathroom and linen closets.

LOL!

but in all seriousness- I get so angry anticipating all of this.

it's just stupid-

• oompa
    oompa

Lots of x-mas house decorations are tacky anyway. Plus, get into it the old style way. Keep it simple, just closest friends or Family (buying gifts every year is a pain in the ass!). You might could get by for sometime like this, and what is wrong telling elders you want to do it for social, not religious reasons if you did get turned in. What are they, mind readers!!!!

what a bunch of sh1t though....oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit