Trinity

by desib77 25 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

Hi everyone! Been a long time since I've posted. Just thought I would stop in, say hi, and get your thoughts on this.

Since leaving the JWs I have tried to be open to all ideas regardless of how different it is from the way I was raised. I am having trouble with one issue, though, The Trinity. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around the thought of Jesus and God being one. I have had it explained to me in many different ways but I just can't get past Jesus being God's son and not God himself. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Desi

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

my cousin married a guy that went to "bible college" and is some kind of big time pastor around here. he is really a cool guy, and i was at their house one night. i asked him to explain the trinity since i only had the j.w.'s version of it. i was hoping he could make some sense of it. after about 3 minutes, i made a grunting sound and passed out.

• BFD
    BFD

Here's a good thread. Happy reading...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/131323/1.ashx

BFD

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Didn't I just suggest to stop analyzing stuff to death? You're all sucking the fun out of life. It's a great story, now go out for a walk or a bike ride.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

1 What = 3 Whos

Or

1 God = 3 Persons

• desib77
    desib77
    Didn't I just suggest to stop analyzing stuff to death? You're all sucking the fun out of life. It's a great story, now go out for a walk or a bike ride.

Wow, you sound like my dad.... Thankfully, I'm not bitter about my past and actually have faith in a higher power. I'm just confused about the details.

Thanks to everyone for the input especially the link to the other thread.

Desi

• Amyfa
    Amyfa

The trinity is not easy to explain. When you read the bible without any other publication it just comes to you or it doesn’t. Myself personally I feel it. My friend who is a JW says it’s not true, but when I explained how I feel he understood. He said it had never been explained that way.

I don’t know what the watchtower says about it and I didn't ask him. I don’t worry about it. I like to think I am and live as a good Christian, and the finer points don’t matter they will sort them self out.

I think its just JW's that try to make a big thing out of it.

• yknot
    yknot

I am not sure of any reason to believe in Trinity.

Is it of great importance to you for you to accept this concept?

Yes majority of religions preach the concept but I don't know many who really grasp it (preachers and theologians included), rather it is just one of the "mysteries" of God.

For the record I don't believe in Trinity and I was raised in both JW's (mother) and EOW with my Dad (house divided...SB and Episc). I have tried bible research and just find it easier to assign a person to each identity as I would in any book unless other wise told of an alias.

It seems to me what the Bible primarily tells us is: God wanted to save the humans, He sent his trusted son Jesus to do the task, Jesus prevailed. Jesus is assigned by his victory over Satan the right to be called our Savior and King. Through Jesus we are redeemed back to God. Through Jesus we are able to pray to God, to have a relationship with him.

God Bless

Y

• greendawn
    greendawn

Desib just like you I never found it possible to accept the trinity it just doesn't fit in with the biblical picture which clearly paints a subordinate son.

However I don't see this doctrine as being due to some sort of pagan babylonish motive but rather a clumsy attempt to reconcile the Biblical idea that Christ is God in addition to His Father with the idea that there is only one God, so as not to appear polytheistic. Otherwise it would appear Christians believe in two Gods, if the son is also a God.

The motive was genuine but the reasoning method incompetent. What John meant was that Christ is a God but not absolute like His Father. Not surprising he is called a god since God gave him all authority in heaven and earth over all angels and all humans.

• desib77
    desib77

Thank you for all of the responses. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one who has trouble accepting it. One guy showed me a children's book and explained that parts of an egg are all separate but still make up the egg. I had trouble with this because while I understand what he was trying to say, I just don't think that if I was wanting to remove the yolk that it would be the same thing to remove the egg white or the shell. I feel the same way about prayer. When I pray, I pray to God through Jesus not to Jesus sometimes and to God others as I've seen with other people. I don't know if this makes any sense or not but it is just difficult for me to accept....even when presented in a children's book.

Desi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit