1984 - Some Quotes... long so no pressure to read it all :-)

by AlphaOmega 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I have just read the book (and seen the film) "1984", by George Orwell

I would like to share a few quotes with you all. In no particular order.

The book is set against a background of an ever-ongoing war. The main character "Winston Smith" has a job working for the ruling leadership, in "The Ministry of Truth"; his job is to alter the party's publications to suit their ever changing version of world events.

One of the headlines that he has to alter concerns a "Brother Rutherford"

’Do you remember,’ he went on, ’ writing in your diary, "Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four"?’

’Yes,’ said Winston.

O’Brien held up his left hand, its back towards Winston, with the thumb hidden and the four fingers extended.

’How many fingers am I holding up, Winston?

’Four.’

’And if the party says that it is not four but five — then how many?’

It was assumed that when he was not working, eating, or sleeping he would be taking part in some kind of communal recreation: to do anything that suggested a taste for solitude, even to go for a walk by yourself, was always slightly dangerous. There was a word for it in Newspeak: ownlife, it was called, meaning individualism and eccentricity

The old civilizations claimed that they were founded on love or justice. Ours is founded upon hatred. In our world there will be no emotions except fear, rage, triumph, and self-abasement.

Everything else we shall destroy everything. Already we are breaking down the habits of thought which have survived from before the Revolution. We have cut the links between child and parent, and between man and man, and between man and woman. No one dares trust a wife or a child or a friend any longer.

A Party member is expected to have no private emotions and no respites from enthusiasm. He is supposed to live in a continuous frenzy of hatred of foreign enemies and internal traitors, triumph over victories, and self-abasement before the power and wisdom of the Party.

We don’t all have the privilege of fighting in the front line, but at least we can all keep fit.

From where Winston stood it was just possible to read, picked out on its white face in elegant lettering, the three slogans of the Party:

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Everything faded into mist. The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth. Just once in his life he had possessed — after the event: that was what counted — concrete, unmistakable evidence of an act of falsification.

He had held it between his fingers for as long as thirty seconds. In 1973, it must have been

The Party said that Oceania had never been in alliance with Eurasia. He, Winston Smith, knew that Oceania had been in alliance with Eurasia as short a time as four years ago. But where did that knowledge exist? Only in his own consciousness, which in any case must soon be annihilated.

And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed -if all records told the same tale — then the lie passed into history and became truth. ’Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ’controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’

Then he went on: ’What I had really intended to say was that in your article I noticed you had used two words which have become obsolete. But they have only become so very recently. Have you seen the tenth edition of the Newspeak Dictionary?’

’No,’ said Winston. ’I didn’t think it had been issued yet. We are still using the ninth in the Records Department.’

At this moment, for example, in 1984 (if it was 1984), Oceania was at war with Eurasia and in alliance with Eastasia.

In no public or private utterance was it ever admitted that the three powers had at any time been grouped along different lines.

Actually, as Winston well knew, it was only four years since Oceania had been at war with Eastasia and in alliance with Eurasia. But that was merely a piece of furtive knowledge which he happened to possess because his memory was not satisfactorily under control.

Officially the change of partners had never happened.

Oceania was at war with Eurasia: therefore Oceania had always been at war with Eurasia. The enemy of the moment always represented absolute evil

The book frequently uses the term "comrade" whilst the film refers to "brother" and "sister" as a form of address.

The "outer party members" are constantly fed statistics about how the party's production has increased, at the same time as being fed statistics about how strong the enemy is. Occaisionally announcing that they have won a battle (to increase morale)

I thought it was "interesting"

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

’How many fingers am I holding up, Winston? ’Four.’ ’And if the party says that it is not four but five — then how many?’

I remember this coming up at body of elders meeting. The TMSO asked " if the Society says black is white, what are we supposed to say"

I came up with the compromise that I am ashamed of "We say, well if the society says black is white we keep it inside and know deep in our hearts that black is not white, but we loyally teach from the platform that black is white"

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    I came up with the compromise that I am ashamed of "We say, well if the society says black is white we keep it inside and know deep in our hearst that black is not white, but we loyally teach from the platform that black is white"

Hi Stilla,

Two things:

1. What sort of reaction did that get ?

2. Thanks for replying - wasn't sure if anyone was going to wade through it all

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well first of all it was not me that was questioning the society - it was the TMSO. This came up 10 years ago -possibly 11, and the guy is still an elder. A few on the body understood his frustration but did not want to appear as totally rebellious and hence the compromise. The entire body agreed with my compromise.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Incidentally (I am trying not to get off topic but all relevant I think) - after I stepped down as an elder, the body had another session and the subject of why meeting attendance and ministry hours, mag placements were down and consistently down. An elder told me all of this even though I was no longer an elder.

Brother Loyalbutnobraincells said " It is because the brothers are not studying enough". Brother TMSO said bluntly "Nonsense that is a symptom, not the cause"

Eventually a compromise was reached and all agreed "the brothers are tired and exhausted because quite frankly they all expected the new system long before now"

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

WAR IS PEACE (war is good, it means this old system is in turmoil and is good for getting converts on the doors for the Watchtower Society)

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY (Freedom from Babylon the Great is Slavery to the watchtower Society Jehovah)

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH (Ignorance of all our [WTS] false predictions and mistakes is "spiritual strength")

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The enemy of the moment always represented absolute evil - No longer communism but Militant Islam?

• bluebell
    bluebell
    Eventaully a compromise was reached and all agreed "the brothers are tired and exhausted because quite frankly they all expected the new system long before now"

but of course the society has NEVER taught that the new system was ever going to come at any particular date and the brothers just got carried away - they hadn't all got the 1millionth copy of the new light dictionary if they thought that the society had preached dates!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

but of course the society has NEVER taught that the new system was ever going to come at any particular date and the brothers just got carried away - they hadn't all got the 1millionth copy of the new light dictionary if they thought that the society had preached dates!

But many brothers and sisters who are my friends were "In the Truth" before 1975 and know the truth no matter how it is painted

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    Winston sank his arms to his sides and slowly refilled his lungs with air. His mind slid away into the labyrinthine world of doublethink.

To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again: and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself.

That was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word ’doublethink’ involved the use of doublethink.

Amazing isn't it ?

I appreciate your honesty Stilla.

As for the enemy, if we were looking for parallels, then that would have to be "Satan's System" or "Apostasy" I guess ????

Looks like I am not the first to have had a flood of thoughts about 1984 !

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/21741/1.ashx

I will have to buy the book "The Owellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses", Blondie and Mouthy both recommended it to me !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit