Why do some believe in alien conspiracies?

by Seeker 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker
    Seeker

I've been thinking why a few here buy into things such as the Illuminati conspiracies, or secret alien takeovers of our society, the Masons taking over the world, and other far-fetched ideas. I'm sure there are an abundant number of reasons for this, some of which apply to people in general. But I think there are factors that are unique to those who have left high-control groups such as the WTS. Consider what a JW mind is subjected to:

* Belief that the whole world is secretly being controlled and manipulated by spirit forces.
    * Taught that only they have the key knowledge of reality; that everyone else is blinded.
    * Taught that everything in the news is really a result of the hidden conspiracy.

When such a person leaves the WTS, they can go in various directions. A proportion of those leaving decide, "Never again!" and refuses to listen to anything that hasn't got solid proof. A proportion of those leaving continue to think the WTS is right, and remain fearful of demons. And another group think the WTS is bunk, but that there really is another conspiracy at work. That's the group, already primed to be paranoid by the WTS, that continues to buy into these things. Replace, the words "spirit forces" above with "Masons" or "aliens" and you have their current belief.

Why don't I believe these things? I have been accused of having numerous motives for this, by several persons (this thread is not directed at any one person, but at an idea). I have been accused, either directly or implied, of being:

* Closed-minded.
    * Blind
    * A mason
    * In the conspiracy myself.

In fact, I am none of those things. I am very open-minded -- I'll accept anything, just show me viable, testable evidence. I am not a mason, or an alien, or in the non-existent Illimunati. So why don't I believe these things, despite having reads dozens of web-sites full of information about them over the years? For one reason, and one reason only: Lack of viable, testable evidence.

The information presented at these sites are always the same: One person making lots of assertions, with no proof to back it up. "I know of one man, so-and-so, who had the following experience." "I once saw the reptilitian eyes myself!" and so on. Any references given are to other sites or books that contain the same lack of testable evidence. It always comes down, in essence, to 'believe me.'

Sorry, but I'm in the camp of exJWs that wants evidence first. I won't be fooled again by anyone. As it happens, I do believe in aliens, for I think it is highly unlikely the vast universe is devoid of life. In that, I am just like Carl Sagan, who desperately wanted to find evidence of the life he knew must exist in the universe, yet never found any. He investigated UFO evidence with great interest, for he wanted to believe. So do I. I would love to discover alien life among us. I would also be fascinated to discover a vast Masonic or Illuminati conspiracy. It would delight me to find such evidence. Alas, like Sagan, I've yet to find anything credible.

Yet I acknowledge that a JW background can easily prime a person to buy into these hidden conspiracies. I think the WTS, by teaching that the whole world is controlled by hidden spirit creatures, is doing a disservice to the minds of its followers. It engenders paranoia without providing evidence. The effects of this are seen among some exJWs.

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

The one thing I regret about all my years as a JW was that I never got to learn a cool secret handshake or got a decoder ring.

Sigh.

• Seeker
    Seeker

Oh, well you must not have gone high enough in the JW hierarchy, for I certainly do know the secret JW handshake, but I can't tell you...

• _alf_
    _alf_

Well DUH! Im small and I'm orange and hairy and mighty intelligent. And I sure dont come from this crazy planet. What other proof do you need?

L.A.'s a lonely town - when your the only orange boy around.

• Seeker
    Seeker

As always, alf, you are the exception to the rule. You should have introduced yourself to Sagan.

• _alf_
    _alf_

Did you not watch my autobiography, "Project: ALF"?

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Seeker,

Carl Sagan says in "Broca's Brain" that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." And, as you state, there is none.

I think some fall for the wild claims made because they want to believe in SOMETHING, especially after leaving the WTS. As you said, you would like to believe, but only if there is proof.

I, myself, would be happy to find out there was a god and an afterlife, and hope, but there is no proof. I won't waste any more of my life looking for salvation when there are so many potholes in the 'evidence' of god and the Bible.

On reflection, I don't think I ever was a 'true believer' in the WTS, even though I did it for 28 years. I wonder how many are like I was.

I'm in the camp of show me the proof, not testimonials. But many just need something to believe in, I guess.

Pat

• _alf_
    _alf_

I absolutely resent being rejected as proof as an intelligent life form from outer space.

You will be sorry.

• teejay
    teejay

Seeker,

I haven't made an indepth study of the Illuminati, CFR, Bilderberg mythologies but I do believe in them if for no other reason that they make sense.

The alien thing? Some evidence, just not enough to be conclusive. Kinda like demons, as far as I'm concerned. It's always somebody else that's been a witness, and the said witness never seems to have a cheapie Kodak camera or tape recorder, ya know? Funny.

• rem
    rem

Seeker,

I think that people who were raised as JW's and the type of people who become JW's by their own choice have underdeveloped critical thinking skills. After leaving, some choose to develop those skills and learn a thing or two about logic and reasoning. Others don't bother and continue to be swayed by every crackpot opinion under the sun, no matter how little evidence is offered. I suppose some people realize that their whole way of thinking needed to be reexamined, while others may just think that they were just in the wrong religion.

rem, who is on a heavy dose of vicodin right now, so this might not have made any sense! :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit