... finding a heavenly hope...

by Redwood 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Redwood
    Redwood

Being brought up as a JW in the 70's +++ it was instilled in me that my hope was for everlasting life in a perfect world. Only 144,000 were going to heaven to rule with Jesus.

My heart was shaped by a very traumatic event 3 yrs ago this labor day. For the first 2or so years the worst part of the event was that I lived. In March (this year) at another pitiful moment, feeling hopeless, dispare and desperate I had a "spiritual" moment. It occured that God had saved me. I felt - in my body - an overwhelming NEED to worship God. The call was so strong that I knew if I looked God would show me where I needed to go. I could not fathom ever stepping into a KH again, (after thier response to my traumatixing event I survived betrayal and casting off by my faith and my family) or praying with a memeber of what had been my faith for over 30 years.

I got out the phone book and opened it up to churches. I knew no other faith or place of worship. Through what I believe was His divine grace I ended up in Church! a very comforting message was given. I have found a place that I can go I do not feel FEAR (ex JW's understand) fear of the demons in this place. I have attended regularly since March, beyond not being afraid I have felt lifted up and inspired and comforted. I feel the Holy Spirit - well as much as my body will allow.... my question....

I have never called on the Holy Spirit and I have never had a heavenly hope, I am afraid that my belief system was put in place at such a young age (baby) that I lack the ability to desire heaven. Has anyone else experienced this? How do I ....I can't even type the question. My fingers are paralized just trying to form words....Will I ever recieve a heavenly hope? Have you?

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Welcome Redwood!

Don't limit your beliefs to what is written in old books.

Enjoy the present. What ever happens after that you will find out.

Peace to you and welcome.

WAC - Elder for 3 years and Bethelite for 10

• journey-on
    journey-on

First, WELCOME ABOARD. It's good to have you here.

My advice is to listen to your heart. Others will probably tell you to stay away from churches of any kind and to stop praying to God (he doesn't exist). I say, follow your inclination and be open to the possibilities without being gullible. Prayer is always a good thing, but the true science of effective prayer has been lost. One needs to search for the answers with diligence and faith that it will be found.

We are here to help. Welcome.

• freefromthewt
    freefromthewt

Do we sense a completely phony testemonial? Yessssssssssssss we do! Praise the Lord!

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Redwood,

WELCOME to the forum! We are happy to have you here!! We look forward to hearing more of your story as you are ready. Sounds like you have been through alot! For me it took a couple of years to come to grips with the fact that I could not find any scriptures to support a earthly paradise. The few scriptures talking about paradise I could find all refer to paradise in the heavens. And like you, I was raised with a deep desire to live forever in peace and harmony on the earth.

So for me it took time to undue the Watchtower influence. I remember many times belittling the householders heavenly hope in service making such comments as " What do they think they are going to do in heaven, sit on clouds eating bon bons and playing the harp for eternity??" Such comments make me angry at myself now, as I realise how short sited, shallow and how wrong it was for me to think like that.

In time I realised that life in heaven didn't mean sitting on a cloud for eternity, but that there is nothing anywhere to say that life in the heavens in paradise couldn't be something like life here on earth. Think of all the billions of planets out there. They were created for a reason. Who is to say that God doesn't have planets full of faithful ones living eternity in a paradise. Afterall the planets were created for a reason. Some that we can see have been for our visual enjoyment, but what of the ones we don't know exist or ones we cannot see. What is their purpose?

Some may make fun of me for my toughts on this topic, but after what I used to think of others, I deserve any ribbing I may now get about my heavenly hope of paradise. So in a nut shell my hope really is very simular as to what I have always known as a JW. Except the paradise I now have hope in consists of all people, of all religions, of all walks of life who have put faith in God. And the paradise I now believe in is not on earth, but somewhere even more wonderful in heaven!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• passive suicide
    passive suicide

You are in heaven right now. Live in the moment........because NO ONE knows, or can say what happens after death. DO NOT WASTE LIFE WAITING FOR IT.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Live in the moment........because NO ONE knows, or can say what happens after death. DO NOT WASTE LIFE WAITING FOR IT.

I completely agree!! Being a JW, you do not appreciate the wonderful life you have been given. Everyday is miserable, praying this world would end, looking for all the negative things going on in the world hoping somehow this means you are closer to the end and still nothing. Life passes them by and they never stop and smell the roses, or really appreciate the little things they have been given. It is so wonderful to be able to enjoy life here and now!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

You cannot know God without His Holy spirit. That is a bible truth and that is why so many JW's have no faith in anything after finding out the truth regarding the organization. They were putting faith in men nothing more and when they were not perfect as God every thing was lost.

God has been talking to you by His Spirit bearing witnesses with yours a very powerful and loving feeling. Your doctrinal thoughts will not allow you to trust God through His Spirit working in your life. No matter what you go through He will be there for you over the years you will slowly realize as the bible teaches Christ is the Word of God the living Word not the bible. The bible will help you, but if you apply it in laws it will kill the Holy Spirit dwelling in you as the temple of the Living God.

Soon you will see God trust you to make the right choice He does not live in fear as men that can't put trust in anyone. God trust His children and promises to help them overcome all problems. He will not condenm you in associating with people of faith. Nor does he worry that you might make a bad choice He is Love and as a parent see only the good not the bad as JW's do. God cannot ask you to trust Him without giving trust first. I know that is hard to believe, but through our failures and punishing ourselves with doctrinal whips you'll see that does not change God's love for us or does it help Him in anyway.

You will see that all the doctrinal points has nothing to do with God Spirit He is not judging us on that bases that stop with Christ! God is now calling us to love others and let Him work through us to support people faith. God Spirit is Love and it corrects and teaches us whatever He plants cannot be over come by this world. A lily of the field does not wonder if it will grow or have food and water to grow. And it certainly does not wonder if it is a lily and we are more a child of God! As a child of God Aba father they have no worry if they will grow up into the fuliness of Christ. They understand God is the One that makes it grow and men thoughts and rules kills if they can the freedom God's gives us through His Spirit.

Be of good courage and remember be bold in your faith. In other words, trust God to do what is right and teach you and give you wisdom.

Welcome sister to the board

• monophonic
    monophonic

good weed and tropical paradise is turning you into a person i'm not sure i know anymore. :)

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

1Co 15:19If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

Maybe this will help!

1Co 15:48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

1Co 15:49

And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

1Co 15:50

Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

1Co 15:51 Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall allbe changed,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit