Recorded Conversation with elder

by Shepherd Book 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Let's just say, hypothetically speaking, that an elder called me on the phone recently. Let's also say, hypothetically, that I just so happen to be recording the conversation. Let's then say he called me again and recorded it again. Then I imported the audio into my computer, cleaned it up a bit and added subtitles to his part of the conversation (since, hypothetically, his voice didn't get picked up as well as I would have liked).

Now, my question is: What can I do with this audio file? Can I post it on a video server (e.g., YouTube)? What if he didn't give me permission to use his voice? Is it okay to post as long as I bleep out names of people and cities? What if I posted a transcript of the conversations?

This is all just hypothetical, of course.

• stealyourface
    stealyourface

SB, it would depend on your state's laws.

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm#State%20Laws%20(Table)

Is a link to a table of recording laws for the US.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Mark for later

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Stealyourface:

Thank you for the link. It would appear that, in my state, no illegal activity would take place as I obviously consent to the recording and am a party involved.

Still not sure if I can post it in a public forum, though.

• eclipse
    eclipse

Do not both parties need to be consenting inorder for it to be legal?

If you are the one doing the recording, do you not first have to get the the other party's consent,

or at least, make him aware that he is being recorded?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Shepherd Book,

If the law in your state does not proscribe recording conversations to which you are a party then the party in question has no claim to any expectation of privacy.

eclipse,

In many states the law now reads that only one party to the conversation needs to consent, in other words, you cannot tap someone else's phone line and record conversations to which you are not a party.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• LennyinBluemont
    LennyinBluemont

This has been the case in Virginia for many years. As long as you are a party to the conversation, it may be recorded without the knowledge of the other parties. As Auld said, if you record a conversation to which you are not a party and do not have a warrant to do so, you're looking at possible jail time. I was able to record both my 4 1/2 hour conversation with the elders that visited me in order to help convict me, as well as the phone conversation with the other two elders who were inviting me to a JC. I have shared the transcripts with first names only on the internet. As has been mentioned, this varies by state.

• eclipse
    eclipse
    In many states the law now reads that only one party to the conversation needs to consent, in other words, you cannot tap someone else's phone line and record conversations to which you are not a party.

Thanks for making that clear...AS

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit