The Very Peculiar Fear of Satan

by R.F. 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• R.F.
    R.F.

As we know, JWs tend to have a very strong fear of Satan. After thinking back, I can't believe the extent to which the concept of Satan has gripped many JWs with fear.

For instance, there was a member of my congregation whose feelings I hurt unintentionally. I still believe that if they would've stopped and thought about it that I meant no harm, but since they were hurt I apologized. Next thing I come to find out that they went and told other congo members that "Satan has gotten a hold of me and is using me now".

On another time, there were some JWs that went to see one of my parents and I happened to be there. 80% of the conversation on the visitor's part was about Satan and how busy he is in working against them. They really believe that every single little incident that happens, evne if someone just happens to cross them the wrong way, that it's Satan's doing. They were even saying that they believe that a group of demons live in their homes, watching there every move.

In the field service, there was one gentleman we came across that was without a doubt very sick, he even said so himself. This was the door of the person I was working with, and they kept talking as if he told them nothing. I tried to dismiss us, offering to come back another time, yet my partner kept talking. The householder became very agitated at this point and sternly asked us to leave, so we did. The first thing out of my partner's mouth..."Satan sure is on his job!"

Next this makes me think of my ex. Sure, like every other couple, we had our occasional disagreements. Instead of her realizing that it's a part of life, she would say that "Satan was using me against her to bring her down". I can't recall an disagreement in which she didn't say this. There were way too many times that something was obviously bothering her that she never talked about because she "didn't want Satan to hear something and use it against her." Sure, every single thing doesn't have to be discussed, but i'm talking about things that would bother her to the point that they keep her in a constant state of depression. She sometimes would talk about it later and admit it would've helped if she would've sought out my help, or ask me to do a certain things a different way. This of course was very frustrating. Were we supposed to speak telepathically? Were we supposed to form some new language that Satan wouldn't understand. The problem with that was that he would be "looking on" as we created it and still work against us.

The fear of Satan can be very damaging, and I think its an easy escape from the problems that life brings.

What is your personal experience or input?

R.F.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I mean no harm to anyone, R.F.

I'm so misunderstood.

• eclipse
    eclipse

My JW sister also believes that Satan has controlled my ''apostate'' thinking.

I told her, but I prayed for God's spirit, I prayed to have guidance, I prayed to know if how I was feeling was from Satan or from my own doubts.

No answer was forthcoming!.

So then I asked her, ''Are you saying that Satan won?, God just left me in the lurch,because either god doesn't love me or want me, or Satan is more powerful than Holy Spirit. Which is it?''

She couldn't answer me.

• Scully
    Scully

Blaming Satan is a very convenient way for people to feel no responsibility or accountability for their behaviour. It allows them to put themselves in the position of being a "victim" and wounded - and therefore have no responsibilities for the choices they make.

A recent Dr Phil episode, where a family was trying to cope with the aftermath of the paternal grandfather molesting the 6 year old daughter, just reminded me so much of how the JWs blame Satan for everything. The grandfather, although he had been convicted and served time in jail, was sidestepping responsibility for his actions by saying how "the devil" had taken over and made him do things that he knew were wrong. So he feels he is a victim of the devil and that's a good enough excuse for what happened? What utter crap!!

• R.F.
    R.F.

So then I asked her, ''Are you saying that Satan won?, God just left me in the lurch,because either god doesn't love me or want me, or Satan is more powerful than Holy Spirit. Which is it?''

She couldn't answer me.

Good reasoning eclipse!

I told my ex the same thing once. I said......

"You're afraid to talk to me because of being afraid of Satan, do you not think that Jehovah is stronger than Satan??"

She too couldn't answer.

I wonder just how strong a faith the JWs have in Jehovah to deliver them from Satan?

R.F.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

My mother is very "demon sensitive". Anything that goes wrong is the work of demons.

I used to be an avid collector of comics in my youth, but had to keep them secret. If mom had a bad dream she'd turn my room over looking for demonic goods.

I remember being rudely awakened by my father one night who turned on my light at about 3 in the morning. He looked tired too.

Looking back I have to laugh at how he handled it.

"Your mother is having bad dreams again, do you have anything you can give me to make her be quiet?"

I told him I could find something and he said just put it on the steps. I went to my secret hiding spot, grabbed one of my lesser enjoyed comics and left it out for my dad. After the demonic sacrifice, my mom calmed down.

I kept my comic collection, mom went back to sleep and dad got some peace.

Still brings a smile to my face.

• eclipse
    eclipse

Makes you wonder, who are they more scare of, God or Satan?

The theme throughout is FEAR, and they dont see it.

It's right infront of their face, in all the talks. the Watchtowers.

• tula
    tula

I always thought they were a little

• R.F.
    R.F.

Blaming Satan is a very convenient way for people to feel no responsibility or accountability for their behaviour. It allows them to put themselves in the position of being a "victim" and wounded - and therefore have no responsibilities for the choices they make.

It seemed that some thrived on how much more it appeared that Satan was combating them, thus believing that they must be doing something right in order to be a threat and target to him. It's so sad.

I find it funny how JWs are always so quick to say that others blame Satan for everything while they, at the same time, do the exact same thing. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

R.F.

• tula
    tula

I always thought they were a little bizarre.

One of my JW friends refuses to shop in thrift stores for fear the used stuff might come with demons attached from whoever they belonged to last.

Another JW I know...everytime she has problems with any equipment...blender, mixer, a/c ...whatever. She blames demons in it. I said well why don't you give it to me? But no. If she continues to use it and have problems, she will throw it out. She wont give it to someone else or have someone fix it. She does not want to be blood guilty of passing on demonized stuff.

Another JW friend will put fingers to lips ssshhhh. Then point around. What? I ask. Somebody might hear you. What? Nobody is here. Friend points around. Demons might here and use it against you. (Thats if you are talking about something you might get in trouble about. Or discussing something questionable.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit