"full liberty of conscience" (1920)

by tfjw 10 Replies latest jw friends

• tfjw
    tfjw

Here is something we will probably never hear or read again in the wt:

"We would not refuse to treat one as a brother because he did not believe the Society is the Lord's channel. If others see it in a different way, that is their privilege. There should be full liberty of conscience." (Watchtower, April 1, 1920, pp.100-101)

• Jourles
    Jourles

Yep, I used that quote in my so long friends! letter right before I was df'd.

Too bad the quote is over 80 years old. You will never see such a quote used ever again in the WT literature. Ever.

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

Liberty Of Conscience - That would be nice.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

it seems to me that there were some great thoughts with the org in the beginning, but for whatever reason, did not let them grow and flourish

• greendawn
    greendawn

Interesting quote, it shows how times changed with the org going from the liberally minded Russell days to the totally dictatorial fascist minded later leaders like Franz and Jaracz.

I take it that the extreme DFing and shunning policy did not start in Rutherford's days. He centralised power in his hands but left it at that, not expelling those that challenged it.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Another example of "Let's pretend we never said that". They won't even acknowledge it--and even if they did, it would be "old light" and the "new light" would be that we should shun those who break the many rules or that see through the scam that they are pulling.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    "We would not refuse to treat one as a brother because he did not believe the Society is the Lord's channel. If others see it in a different way, that is their privilege. There should be full liberty of conscience." (Watchtower, April 1, 1920, pp.100-101)

This should be on the side of the building at Bethel instead of their lie that is on it now:

Read your Bible Daily

• Tara
    Tara

OMG! What a complete turn around! You guys are right. They will never say that again or acknowledge it in a good way.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Fredrick "the oricle" Franz destroyed these ideas when he and his boy wonder Knorr came to power. They tossed out all Rutherford's and Woodworth's, and Russells ideals and built a New religion with the same name.

• shell69
    shell69

amazing they are able to scrutinise things that allegidly happened 2 thousand years ago, but forget what they said a short while ago.

SELECTIVE MEMORY EH?????

Shell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit