Vegetarian Question

by ColdRedRain 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

It depends on the type of vegetarian diet you are trying to adopt.

One of my kids is vegetarian and won't eat "anything that had a face", but will have dairy products and eggs. Some people choose a partial vegetarian diet - chicken and/or fish is ok but anything with four legs is not. Other people are vegan and won't eat or use anything that comes from an animal (no bristle brushes, no leather shoes, no honey, etc).

Lower calorie intake can make you light headed. So can spacing out your meals too much. You may find that you need to have more frequent meals to keep your blood sugar level on an even keel.

I try to make sure that vegetarian meals are well balanced, ensuring that the dish includes a legume (chick peas, lentils, beans) and a grain/starch (rice, pasta, potatoes) in order to provide a complete protein. The other day I made a vegetarian curry with chick peas, cauliflower, onions, tomatoes, celery, carrots, beans and peas, which was served over basmati rice. It was so delicious - Mr Scully didn't notice that it didn't include any meat.

Check out some vegetarian recipes online - there are lots available.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I worked in the Health and fitness Industry for years..I`ve never seen a healthy vegetarian yet..They may be out there,but I haven`t seen them..Good luck!.I hope it works out for you...OUTLAW

• tula
    tula

There are very few sources of B-12 in a strict vegetarian diet. I would suggest that you supplement with bee pollen as it contains trace amounts of B-12 and has a very high protein content. It is pretty much a complete food. Also, if you are using a b-12 supplement, I would suggest B-12 METHYLcobalamine (sublingual). The B-12 which comes from CYNOcobalamine is derrived from activated sewage sludge. Yes, you heard me right. The label may say derrived from milorganite, but same-same. cynocobalamine is cultured from sewage.

Also, I would not recommend eating fruit on an empty stomach, especially first thing in the morning. Too much sugar first thing or on empty stomach can cause light head.

And to be sure you are getting most of your amino acids, a whey protein drink is a plus. I usually make a smoothie with the whey, kefir, and banana. Sometimes add dates or honey but not both.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Vitamin B12 supplementation is a must for vegans who do not consume any kind of animal foods, the only ones that contain B12. The body stores a lot of it and any deficiency problems will take a long time to appear but then damage can be caused by this deficiency.

• dobbie
    dobbie

I'm quite a healthy specimen Outlaw lol!Whenever i've had my blood tested it's always been really good, even over the average for females. Must be all those lentils mmmm...

Also probably sounds daft, but in your post it says it only happens when your'e exercising, i expect you are but are you drinking enough fluids and not getting dehydrated?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

You may be getting light headed because you overexerted yourself. Many times I have crawled into the corner of the gym because I was ready to faint. You might want to get a heart rate monitor and stay in your zone.

Also you may be hypo-hyper glycemic. Five small meals a day should help your blood sugar. In my opinion its not a meat thing. But I like a good steak once in a while. But that would probaly make me throw up then pass out and have a heart attack if I went to the gym after I ate it. If you just became a vegetarian and your 22 hang around a few weeks months youll probalbly go back to eating meat. But being a vegetarian is a very noble thing. And you will be rewarded with excellent Karma down the road. And if you come back in your next life as a cockroach it will be for a very short time until you work your way back to the humanoid thing. Seriously though my hats off to you. Good luck. I try to be a vegetarian 6 days a week on the 7th I'm liable to eat anything. I'm pretty sure eating beans and vegetables will keep your cholesterol low. You can eat vegie burgers, Vegie dogs, Pasta and beans, rice and beans, They have vegie corn dogs on a stick and bean burritos.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit