"Homebounds" sad, single, only-ever post here a month plus ago.

by oompa 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• shopaholic
    shopaholic
    I wonder just what percentage of the JWs have doubts and never verbalize them.

Plenty of them do. I've heard JW say all the time "we all have doubts". My sister, who is a super-dub said it just the other day. I had serious doubts for years and never said a word.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I think maybe, too, that they get a bit discouraged on this forum. They may not be ready nor inclined to throw God out the window along with their religion, and JWD (imo) is extremely atheistic. Those that believe in a higher being and believe his spirit or essence is involved in man's physical and spiritual evolution have a tough time hanging on this forum.

I think it's necessary for us all to discuss and debate and comfort and support each other because of our common background. But, you have to have a bit of a tough skin to keep it up, because the atheists and agnostics can overwhelm some folks. Sometimes, they jump in and rip believers apart and if you're not confident or verbal enough to stand up for yourself and discuss and debate the issues, you can get scared off.

There are so many beliefs along the continuum from rabid atheists to syrupy holier-than-thou Bible thumpers, that you just have to be willing to examine them all, absorb, assimilate, or accommodate what you choose to but then learn to separate the person from the dogma. Don't let it color your caring and concern for the person.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

nice post journey on

purps

• choosing life
    choosing life

Sometimes, I think we are a little too quick to overload a new poster with too many viewpoints or a too rapid destruction of the watchtower in our posts. Maybe they aren't ready yet. Need to be welcoming and stay close to the subject of their post.

Just a lot of welcomes are nice when you first get up the nerve to actually post.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Just a lot of welcomes are nice when you first get up the nerve to actually post.

Yep. Go easy on the noobs, eh?

It makes me sad when I see a newbie start posting about their beliefs and they get slammed or mocked by the atheists right off the bat. And then you see the same posters talking 'bout love and acceptance and how we're so much better than the dubs. lmao

You catch more bees with honey than with vinegar, no?

• Warlock
    Warlock

For this reason, we need to continue to make them feel welcome AND encourage them to keep posting frequently, especially in the beginning.

Warlock

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Oh no....I hope I haven't driven him away....

At least I said something though.....

• abbagail
    abbagail

journey-on said: "...and JWD (imo) is extremely atheistic."

VERY TRUE. And unfortunately, that majority rules, it seems. What is especially sad is when those confused newbies, who don't know WHAT to believe after their train-wrecks with WT beliefs, will throw out a Bible, God, last days, etc. question to the forum, and the herd of God-haters will jump right in and convince them the anti-God way is THE WAY TO GO NOW, now that WT has been proven a liar, etc. I've seen it in action, it grieves the soul. The little ducklings never get a chance to wobble around long enough to find what true Christianity is all about. I often wonder if it is because they are so very young, or maybe they are so desirous of acceptance by the crowd, that they will just fall inline and become "yes men" to the majority atheist, anti-God/anti-Scripture/anti-everything-Holy opinions.

Either way, it's sad.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    VERY TRUE. And unfortunately, that majority rules, it seems. What is especially sad is when those confused newbies, who don't know WHAT to believe after their train-wrecks with WT beliefs, will throw out a Bible, God, last days, etc. question to the forum, and the herd of God-haters will jump right in and convince them the anti-God way is THE WAY TO GO NOW, now that WT has been proven a liar, etc. I've seen it in action, it grieves the soul. The little ducklings never get a chance to wobble around long enough to find what true Christianity is all about. I often wonder if it is because they are so very young, or maybe they are so desirous of acceptance by the crowd, that they will just fall inline and become "yes men" to the majority atheist, anti-God/anti-Scripture/anti-everything-Holy opinions.

Either way, it's sad.

I don't think it's sad. I think it's exhaustion. Perhaps the debilitating realization that one has spent one's life giving time and money to liars would make one a little sour on any sort of religion, don't you think?

Besides, do you really need religion to lead a happy, successful life? It's an important question, one that I'm evaluating right now.

If I don't NEED it, I'm not going to ADD religion to my life.

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hi SirNose: NOBODY needs "religion" (a specific denomination, set of rules, etc.), but everybody needs a RELATIONSHIP with their Savior. (Well, I don't expect everyone to agree with that, but, oh well, just my 2-cents). It's a big switch from WT-training since their way was wrapped up in denominationalism, rules, etc. ie, their specific "religion." Learning what RELATIONSHIP with Christ means is a whole 'nother story. Here's hoping the thought interests you eventually.

/ag

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit